my son has a sippy cup but calls it baba please help

my son is off of the bottle now and has been for about a month...but always calls his sippy cups babas ....its kinda frustrating because we only call it cuppy and he will not say cup or anything other than baba... how long did it take for you lil one to call it what it was or do you have any suggestions?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 12:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont worry about it. he is still very young. it will work itself out.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I agree, as long as he is taking the cup then let him call it a baba if he wants to, sooner or later he will figure out that's not the right word for it. He may even be continuing just to get the reaction of being corrected by you. In parenting I go with a don't sweat the small stuff strategy and I think this falls into the category of small stuff. It may be annoying to you but I don't think it enough to make a big deal about it. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• He is probably just doing it to get a reaction out of you, so I would not make a big deal about it. The more you correct him and say cuppy the more he is going to stick with baba. I'd just hand it to him with a "here you go" and not use either word (cuppy or baba).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Give it some time... remember he/she is still learning. They could possibly not know how to say it.. maybe they've said it before, but it's easier to call it what they're used to OR.... When they call it by baba, you respond faster?

Keep calling it what it is, when your child calls it by the wrong name... before handing it to them repeat here's your sippy cup. Repetitive naming will help maybe slowly but surely to get them on the right path.

That's great that you've got your little one off the bottle! Keep up the great work.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Once my son got off the Baba, we NEVER said the word baba again at our house.. we waited too long to get him off the bottle, 16 months so he was attached and if anyone said it, it would upset him, so if he said it or asked for it, I never corrected him, I just gave him his sippy cup of water and said, here's your big boy sippy...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2010