Used Matress

My Dh and I found a toddler bed on the side of the road and it had a fairly decent looking mattress in it. It was a vinyl mattress so I was thinking a good cleaning would do it fine. I would buy a new one if I have to but money is very tight so we are trying to make do. Now I am having second thoughts about it bc my mom treated me like I was nuts for wanting to use the used one. Do you think I can clean it (btw it looks practically new with a few little tears). Or do you think I should just chuck and buy a new one?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would def put another pad on the matress under the sheet. But its vinyl you should be alright with a good cleansing of it.
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 1:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• How cute a few little tears :)
    I would use it clean and let it hang out outside for a day or two and clean it again before you use it. Put 2 mattress cover on it for now (I am a little OCD..lol) but then after that you can go ahead and use one. GL Oh and use alot of Lysol until you feel comfortable with it. Oh if your mom wants to buy you one then just hang on to it for baby to jump & play on it later :) GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Oh we are definately going to put a mattress pad over it
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i watched an episode of dirty jobs where he went to a mattress recycling center and they tore the mattresses appart and that made me never want to use another used mattress as long as i live! 90% of them have black mold growing inside, not to metion bed bugs and all the dead skin and hair that gets inbedded in them......
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Personally, I'd never never use a mattress I found on the side of the road. It could have bed bugs in it. If the bed is in good repair I guess you could clean it and put on a new mattress, but if there were bed bugs in the mattress they're probably in the groves and spaces in the bed too. I am really grossed out by the idea of bed bugs because I've read about how hard they are to get rid of. It's actually really common for people to put out infested furniture on the side of the street without marking that it has bed bugs.

That's my opinion and my fear, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or make you feel bad. I know how it is when you're totally strapped.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• There is probably a reason it was on the side of the road. AKA kid had some infection or lice or something I dont know but matresses are not the best thing to get used from someone you dont know. Gross.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't do it. A used bed frame, maybe, but definitely not a used mattress. ick.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010