whining!!!!!

How do i get my 3 1/2 year old son to quit whining soooo much? It seems recently he is constantly whining and its driving me nuts! Is he lacking something? Is this normal for this stage in life? i need some reasurance and help im gonna go crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• its normal. just let him know that if he must whine he need to go in his room and when he wants to talk like a big boy he can come tak to you.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• When my 4 year old gets in a whiny mood, I will just be very matter of fact with him and tell him I don't like his attitude or his whining and then I'll set him down somewhere quiet to chill out for a while. If he throws a fit, he goes to his room. I make him sit down and after a few minutes I'll tell him if he has a better attitued then he can get up. If he's good then that's great. If he is whiny again, he goes back.

All kids go through it. It is normal behavior. I don't think it is a cry for help if that is what you are worried about. It will pass! Hang in there, Mommy!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 2:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• IGNORE the whining! Do NOT respond to him until he uses a big boy voice. Let him know that whining is NOT acceptable and he can ASK for what he wants or needs. There is NO reason for any child to whine. Whining is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Whining is my biggest pet peeve, and I attempt to break my children of the habit as soon as I possibly can. What has worked with all my children is to tell them "I cant understand you when you whine" and keep repeating it until they communicate whatever it is in a normal voice. When they're little like this, I generally feign surprise when they finally do ask in a normal voice and say "OH! Is that what you want? Thank you for using a your big boy/big girl voice"
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 3:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2010