wedding food?

this is kind of an off question but i am getting married june of next year and we have started talking about the food...i wanted a caterer and thought it was pretty reasonable but talking to my mom today she wants to have a friend cook everything....she is a great cook but i am concerned that it looks tacky help?

juliak818

Asked by juliak818 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my parents tried to hire a bunch of cooking students to cook for my sisters wedding

have it catered!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I went through the same battle when I got married. I wanted it catered and my hubby wanted family/friends to cook. In the end, I won..lol. I don't think my concern was it looking tacky but the fact that I didn't want people to have to worry about food because I wanted everyone to relax and have a great time. Hiring a caterer took pressure off others to organize this. In the end we ended up going with a low-cost caterer. Our wedding was outdoors at a park so we had BBQ pork, fried chicken, etc. It was simple food for a simple event and for about 50 people we spent about $400. It worked for us.
    Anonymous

• "look tacky" do you think that her presentation will be under par or do you think that it looks tacky not to have it catered?

If you are concerned about it being tacky dont (as long as it is a pretty presentation) it is a beautiful gift that she is giving you. You can even make a toast in her honor and your guest will be touched and say nothing but good things.
    Anonymous

• I think if shes a good cook let her do it. we are getting married in 24 days. Everything just gets harder and more complicated as time goes on. If you can save money and still have good food why not. Plus a lot of catered food is overcooked anyway...
    Anonymous

• It is common for people in my neck of the woods to have friends, family or church group that help and volunteer the food as a gift, even. Of course I'm sure there are some that are paid as well. Don't worry about it looking tacky. Who cares if she is licensed or not if she can cook!
    Anonymous

• How many people are attending your wedding? Does she have the proper set up/kitchen to cook for ___ number of people. We had 225 at our wedding. We did catered. I couldn't imagine a friend of the family cooking for that many people in her home... jmo.. GOOD LUCK! ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We had a June wedding the weekend before the 4th of July only 80 so we did pork BBQ with different breads and buns, cheese plate, veggie plate , potatoe salad , pasta salad , different drinks etc
    It was awesome !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 7:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We didn't do a sit down dinner, so we didn't cater! My aunt and his aunt just made a lot of simple foods, Swedish meatballs, cocktail weenies, finger sandwiches and so on! It was alot of fun and people just ate freely through out the night!
    Iviemg

Answer by Iviemg at 1:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• we had party cut pizza and hot wings! it was so easy and everyone just made their own plates and sat together
    Anonymous

• If it will be a large wedding- have it catered. If it will be a small one under 200 have your friend/family do it. ask t a his person if they could make a sample of what they could make for wedding and have a taste test. Can this person handle cooking for a large number of people? Just because this person is a good cook doesn't mean they can handle cooking for a large number of people. It is a lot different than make dinner for say- a couple of dozen people. there is the large quantity of food at must be prepared and the element of timing everything. not to mention having the proper facilities and equipment to do it. Who will be helping this person?  what about this persons hygiene and food handling habits?  Good luck.

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 2:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2010