Stainless steel fridge,stove etc. Would you choose another finish?

Thinking of a kitchen remodel and just wondering what you think of your stainless steel. I hear that they suck up all the finger prints? or are they not all that bad. Let me know;)

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 1:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I never have had them in our kitchen but the deli I worked at everything was stainless steel. It seemed like you could never keep them clean and finger prints are awful on them. My parents recently got a fridge, it looks like stainless steel but it's not. It's a lot easier to keep clean and everything. I just can't remember what it was called.
    Anonymous

• i have stainless steel small appliances. (my kitchenaid mixer, toaster, blender, etc) and black large appliances. you have to clean them all! suprising isnt it. with the stainless steel if it is a mirrored instead of clouded finish that does pick up stains from fingers like nothing else. the clouded finish is just like my black stuff (that also shows a lot of finger prints) get what you like best imo
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Many of my friends have them... I dont know the maintenance but they look great.

I also like when they put the same cabinet fronts on the fridge.

I have a textured front and would NEVER choose that again.

Anonymous

• i thought about getting stainless when we remodel our kitchen but have changed my mind b/c i have a stainless microwave & it looks horrible even though i clean it STAINLESS my butt lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We recently moved into a house with all stainless appliances. I always wanted stainless and love the look. Now after living with them for 18 months I have to say I would not get them again. Sure, when they are clean they look fabulous, but I am literally wiping them down *several* times a day. If you touch the fridge, it leaves a mark every time...and with 2 little ones and cooking all the time its constant cleaning. Same with the dishwasher and stove. I don't know what other options are out there so I can't say what I'd get instead, but there has to be something better than this. Also, if it matters, I recently read something regarding kitchen design that said that stainless was on its way out as a trend.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My fridge is the Whirlpool Gold SidebySide Stainless LOOK. Its magnetic, looks like stainless and blends with my other true stainless appliances. I've had stainless for many years and LOVE THEM!! Maintenance....no biggie...there are stainless cleaners available. The high polished finishes are the worst for finger prints and most big appliances don't come in the mirrored finish, they come in the brushed finish. With the stainless cleaner, no biggie to clean up at all and we don't have many finger prints.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I had all stainless and I really can't recommend it to anyone with kids at home. I still have a stainless fridge and I cannot wait to replace it. Like someone else said, I've also heard that the stainless trend is on its way out.
    Anonymous

• I have brushed stainless for my fridge and stove, and they really, really show the fingerprints. I'll definitely go with a different finish the next time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• try using stainless steel cleaner it works wonders and wipes away set in fingerprints and stains I got ours at the store we bought our appliances Sears.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I posted earlier but want to add that yes, the stainless cleaner works well to remove finger prints, but does not prevent them, so you still get them no matter what cleaner you use.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010