pumping...

I keep hearing lactation specialists say only pump each side 8-10 minutes.
If I was pumping, stopped getting milk after about 5 minutes but kept pumping for 10+ more minutes what would that do?
Does continuous pumping after your breasts are empty cause them to produce more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it does. but try this. if your flow is stopping after 5 minutes turn the suction all the way down so there is barely any. i found that it made the flow crazy.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• That sounds like a good idea.
    Im asking because ive been trying to relactate but its been two weeks and 8-10 of pumping and frequent nursing is only still giving me a few drops..So I was wondering if pumping longer would speed things up or hopefully help me make more...
    Anonymous

• It can increase supply, but remember that pump output doesn't measure supply, only how much you can pump. Are you trying anything besides the nursing/pumping in your efforts to relactate? How old is baby and how long since you stopped nursing?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Pumping longer probably won't help much and can hurt your nipples or breasts. Pumping more frequently would be better. Some other things you can do is use a rental pump (yes it's worth the money), use the Marmet massage technique before pumping (for instructions go to google and type in Marmet technique), condition your let-dow reflex to music (play the same music every time you pump or nurse and soon when you hear the music your milk will flow), pump both breasts at once, if the baby is able to nurse then have the baby nurse one breast and pump the other, and make sure you are getting up in the middle of the night at least twice to pump/nurse.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• La Leche League Leaders will help for free by phone.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website. 

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• More frequent shorter pumping sessions are often better than longer ones. Great info at Maximizing Milk Production with Hands On Pumping

Better yet, get an At Breast Supplementer so you can eliminate bottle feeding and feed baby at the breast (using formula until you have more milk).  This is what really worked for me when inducing lactation for an adopted baby.  This worked WAY better than pumping.

Also look into using galactgogues if you haven't. Domperidone worked really well for me!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2010