im afraid....

ok so i would really appreciate no bashing on this. im being completely honest (although it may sound a little like premature worry) this is how i feel. a month ago, at the age of 22, i was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. i have been getting epidural shots and steriods shot into my discs to try to help it from getting worse and to help with the pain. this is hereditary with my family (which to be honest-our family med. history sucks lol). my grandmother has this same disease and now she has bone cancer-which she says is a result to her back becomming inflammed and she not taking the anti-inflammatory meds. im afraid what if (again-im aware this is premature)...what if something like this happens to me? if im already having problems with my back, does that mean that its going to happen earlier? my grandmother lives in pain every day and i cant imagine living like that ever...let alone at this age *continued*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• all i can think about is my baby. actually he is my 3 year old son. he has some medical needs (blind in left eye, missing a membrane on his brain, severely delayed in all areas, and he is autistic) that needs me. i know i shouldnt worry myself with "what ifs" right now because anything can happen. i just cant stop thinking about it. i dunno.
    also-its the week before AF so im a little emotional and really needed to get this off my chest. thank you for giving me the chance. do you have any advice or anything you want to vent about? <3 (:
    Anonymous

• i have the same thing and i dont do shots or meds i do yoga to strengthen my core muscles therefor providing more support to my spine. and as far as cancer goes we all have the cancer gene it just takes something to trigger it...
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry for you pain and worry. All I can say is this.....Do what the doctors tell you to do. Eat healthy and live a healthy life. Cherish every day and make good memories and fun.

My SIL is dealing with a similar situation. Her mother is dieing of cancer. All of the women in her family died early of cancer. We've had lots of talks. No one knows what is going to happen in their future. You could come from a family of perfect genes who live to be 100, but then die of a car accident at 20. Just live your life so you have no regrets when your time comes.

Anonymous

• OP: thank you anon. i know i was a little dramatic-i just needed to get it off my chest. i will try yoga..right now the injections dont seem to be helping as much as maybe they should be. they told me to do excercises but its been a crazy month. is it basic yoga or is there a dvd i should look for that would help me better? thank you. again
    Anonymous

• We all are scared about those things. Crazy runs in my family. On one side of the family, most were put into institutions. And on the other, they take thier meds and try not to get out in "left feild" without someone knowing. And thats just on my moms side, I have no adea about my dad. My mom has a thyroid problem, and I have hashimotos thyroiditis (which is more then likely spelled wrong...just cause I have it doesn't mean I know how to spell it lol.) which is a thyroid disease. I can die of heart failier. My biggest problem is that I don't know if my kids are going to be crazy too, or have to fight thyroid for the rest of thier lives like I do. Both my boys are in speach, and one is alittle slow with his motor skills....he uses his hands differently then others do. I had speach problems when I was young. Is it all my fault that my kids have it too? You never know whats going to happen. Just live and be happy.
    Anonymous

• the injections are bad i would find an alternative my husband got spinal injections for a while and now his back hurts more than ever he gets constant back spasms where they previously gave the shots. ...and the yoga does help but it isnt a cure all i still have days where i wish i was dead cause im in soooo much pain. just hang in there and take it day by day
    Anonymous

• oh and for starting yoga i started with yoga for pregnant women(less strain) but if u never done it b4 i would start with palates or a palates yoga mix... and dont push yourself too hard too fast cause as beneficial as it is it can also cause injury if its done wrong...start with the basic breathing and simple poses like down dog, sun dog, table top, cat series, and child poses. my 2 yr old does those with me and if she can do it anyone can
    Anonymous

• I am not trying to be mean here. But why would you bring children in to this world knowing they probably would have this same problem you have? I would not.

Answer by louise2 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• first of all, he wasnt planned. i was young and dumb and forgot to get my birth control. i actually never planned on having children because of this. other than having an abortion, i dont see any other options after finding out i was pregnant. sure, i should have been more careful and more responsible but thats in the past and im not going to "should have, could have" all that.
    Anonymous