How many of you....

got a false-positive on your down syndrome test? I can not understand how they can administer a test that has a 60% false-positive rate!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my best friend did on her first pregnancy and it freaked her out the rest of the pregnancy and the baby came out just fine, so this time around she said she wasn't doing it!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 2:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i never got that test done... i see no need for it
    Anonymous

• i agree w/ you, i did not want to take a test that is so unreliable.
    Anonymous

• I agree, it's a totally pointless test, unless you would abort if your baby had a problem. The rates of false-positives is greater than actual positives, and even an actual positive doesn't mean that the baby has a severe abnormality.

I have never had this test and I never will. It doesn't make sense for me to be worried about a false-positive, or to grieve for a baby with Down's before they are born.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I had a false positive during my first pregnancy. She turned out to be perfectly fine. I have had two other babies and opted out of the test. I wouldn't abort anyway and so we just never had the test done again.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 2:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I chose not to have the test but my best friend's mom had it done because she was 39 when she had her last baby. It came back positive. Then the doctors told her they believed her son had the most severe type of downs.

Her son was born perfectly healthy and is now a happy 6 year old boy WITHOUT downs.
    Anonymous