Prenatal vitamins

My hubby and I are going to start trying for another baby in July. I was wondering if I should start taking prenatal vitamins now. Anyone else take them before they got pregnant?

rlhall1980

Asked by rlhall1980 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• My ob/gyn told me to start taking them as soon as I started ttc. So you could prob start taking them in July.
    Anonymous

• It definately doesn't hurt! You need to have adequate stores of folic acid for 3 months prior to becoming pregnant anyway. The reason for this is because having enough folic acid decreases neuro-tube defects (like spinabifida) by 75%!

So, if nothing else, just get some folic acid suppliments.

I do recommend using food-based vitamins, since the chemical-based ones are less absorbable.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Where do you get food-based vitamins?
    Anonymous

• I get mine at www.luckyvitamin.com. They have better prices than most of the health food stores (which is the other place you can get them).

I use either Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal System or NOW foods vitamins.

Be aware, the dosage for food-based vitamins is a lot more than for the kinds you buy at Walmart. The Rainbow Light dose is 6 pills a day, the NOW vitamin is 4.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• After my DS was born my midwife told me to continue taking prenatal vitamins and not to stop. She said I should keep taking them until I was done having kids. So I would say yes, start up again.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010