How do you teach a toddler to interact with a five month old play wise?

My DS Josh who is two loves his younger brother Noah who is five months old. Sometimes he will help change him or give him a bath, but he isn't always gentle. He will get in his face or pounce on his tummy and I am constantly telling him to be gentle. I am afraid to leave Noah in the same room with Josh because I am afraid that Josh would hurt Noah even though it wouldn't be on purpose so what kind of play things can Josh do with Noah with out hurting him?

angeljosh

Asked by angeljosh at 7:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Teach him to do the same things you would do. Like peek-a-boo and maybe playing with some baby toys. Singing to the baby is another favorite. It's really hard for a child to play with a baby. Children tend to play a little rough at times and toddlers especially don't always understand that a baby is delicate.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:48 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Yep older babies/toddlers aren't always as gentle as you would like with younger babies/infants. I know first hand too, my kids are 10 months apart.

I even got a picture of my DD (about 4 months at the time) laying on the floor on her tummy and DS (about 14 months at the time) "patting her back". Of course he was patting a little to hard and I had to stop it, but honestly he was just doing what mommy did...

As the other poster said, just teach him to do things like peek-a-boo, reading to the baby, baby toys, etc. Also when he gets a little ruff offer him an alternative activity to do with the baby, that way he knows that it's not playing with the baby that is "bad", but how he is playing with the baby.  Good Luck.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2008