If there is something wrong with a child (physically, emotionally, mentally, etc.) how much of it do you blame on the parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• to big of a generalization to really be able to give a good awnser.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i agree with pp. can you give examples please
    Anonymous

• I seriously think it depends on the situation. Everyone has a different life and different needs. Each child is unique.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• A lot of it. Physically, not so much, but mentally and emotionally, a lot of it is at the parent's feet. Not all of it, but a good portion.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Sometimes it could be the parents and sometimes shit happens and that's the lot in life the child drew. I know that sounds bad and I have three children who have issues. One is bi-polar, one was born with one kidney, and one has adhd. That was the straw there lives got handed, in the beginning I blamed myself, but later realized that sometimes we have no control and it is what it is.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• OP here - Say you have a baby born with DS. It has been connected with a parents' age. Is that the parents fault? What about FAS, and if the mom didn't know she was pregnant. Is it her fault? If a kid has ADD.. parents fault?
    Anonymous

• Down's syndrome is not always a parents age - there are people in their 20s that have children with Downs. Anything where they have identified a genetic marker for, I do not blame the parents for.

Answer by missanc at 2:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• That is just luck, they were special enough to get a child that was touched by fairies. :)
    Anonymous

• Be careful about blaming the parents and assuming you know what is going on. There may be more to the story than you realize. You may see a child throwing an extreme fit in public and have to be carried out by the parents. You would probably think that they have raised a little brat, but the child may have Asperger's Syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder. You may see a kid who is highly irritable and impulsive and think the parents did something wrong, or see a child with fetal alcohol syndrome. The parents you are blaming may have adopted these kids and not be to blame for what happened to them.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010