Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to have my child checked for autism. How do I go about it?

I've been trying to call the clinic to set an appointment. I called the number where you are supposed to set your appointment with. Somebody answered but i was put on hold for a very long time instead of getting the name of my child. I called back several times and it's now the recorded answering system that says leave your name, number. I've tried leaving my child's name and my own number so many times before but they never called back.


Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 12 (762 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Call your primary pediatrician and they will refer you. They usually even make the appointment FOR you. But beware...the clinics that test for autism are backed up a good many people are learning more, noticing more signs and taking more kids to be tested. Sometimes it can be months before you get in.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • i had to contact his pediatrician, they evaluated him and said they agree with him being tested. they contacted the clinic and got him the appt.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • Take your child to the local school district for evaluation and help. They will direct you to where to go and if you need to seek help. A neurologist is supposed to take autistic patients, BUT ours said, "I don't like to say I treat autistic patients because suddenly that is the only type of patient you get." Needless to say I fired him. So we are simply going to our regular doctor. :(

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • well, autism isn't typically diagnosed by a primary care doctor, you may need a referral

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • contact the school system in your area. most places have a birth to 3 program and a early childhood program. They can evaluate him.Call soon,appointments can take months to get in.

    Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • My best advice to you would be to call your local (or state) autism society (you should be able to google it). The people there should have a wealth of information about whom to call and how to get a response from them.

    Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • how old is your child and where do you live?
    the school district can do a developemental assessment, but they can not diagnose anything

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • Call your primary doctor and demand to see a Neurologist.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • If your child is under 3, there is supposed to be an Early Intervention program in your area. It is either free, or sliding scale, based on your income. They will help you get your foot in the door. You can also go to this site to look for agencies in your area that can help. Autism Speaks
    You can also join a great Autism group on CM, like this one. Good luck. Many times the primary doctor is clueless on what to do about Autism. Ask them for an Autism Evaluation referral. Do NOT trust a primary care doctor for Autism treatment and proper diagnosis, unless it is one of their specialties.


    Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • Oops! The CM group I mentioned is HERE.


    Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2010