How many words is a 15 month old suppose to say?

Are they suppose to ask for things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All toddlers are different, It doesn't mean they're behind or slow it just means that they are going at they're own pace. They should be starting to point, walk, and gesture to what they want.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• my dd knew and asked for certain things by the time she was 1. she'd use simple words like sippy, milk, nummy num (what she used for eat) ny nyte (bed) etc. I think thats common.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I watch a little girl and the only thing she says is NOOO. She doesn't say it at anyone and she doesn't even say Mama, Dada or anything. She never asks for anything. By name or oherwise. Is that normal?
    Anonymous

• Does she point, use gestures to get what she wants? When she says Nooo, is it in context, or is she just saying it because she likes the sound? When you call her name, does she respond? Those would all be "flags" to me indicating a possible developmental problem and I would have her evaluated

Answer by missanc at 3:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No she doesn't point or ask for anything. She never tries to feed herself and she just says no because she can.
    Anonymous

• My daughter points and gestures or walks toward what she wants. She shakes her head no and yes, if we ask her a yes or no question. She says mama, dada and she repeats random stuff ...If I say something to my husband the last word I say she repeats it lol. When we call her name she responds. She understands what we are saying more then she talks..if asked to pick up something she understands and she'll do it. If she's drawing and I ask, where her pencil is she'll go get it. She's developing fine but she's not talking a whole lot yet, I'm not concerned..she's just going at her own pace.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My 14 month old says "outside" he points to outside and says "outsiee" and he says mama and dada (out of context), and in context makes car noises, monkey noises, and snorts when you say pig. He points to my nose if I say "nose". He also tries to say other words and gestures and points at things and makes this annoying sound when he wants things. He nods his head yes and no (often sortof in context). He also chomps his teeth when he sees food he likes. And, he is verbally "behind" a couple of my friends babies that are a little younger. They're both girls and both say a LOT more words in context.. but he's stronger than they are and has much more dexterity so I'm not worried.

I would worry because she isn't gesturing, nodding, responding to her name, shaking her head, parroting sounds or words, or using the word no in context at all. I'd talk to her parents about it. Be VERY careful or they may get offended.
    Anonymous

• P.S. he does not do a lot of what I just said around strangers at first, so it is very possible if you ASK her parents about it they may be surprised she doesn't talk more or respond better to you.  Maybe something about you puts her off?

If she's ALWAYS like that, though, and doesn't warm up to you after a week and start interacting better.. I'd be worried for sure.

Anonymous

• My doctor said 3 by 15 months.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 4:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Some kids are verbal by then and some aren't . My son didn't say any real words until he was about 2 and 1/2 and he's fine now.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 5:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010