What is the strangest, funniest, or worst parenting/pregnancy advice you've gotten?

I was told if I let my back get chilled, my milk supply would go down. And the same person said my son's head was hot, so he was teething (it was no hotter than it's been for 5 months!). A nurse in the hospital told me not to eat too much ice or my iron levels would go down (I know eating ice is a SYMPTOM of low iron, but she was convinced it was a cause. When I mentioned it to the doc, he just shook his head and laughed.)

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 2:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Most came from my MIL and they were all horrible suggestions. she told me if my child was constipated and needed a little help getting the poop out to spoon it out (Of course I laughed in her face!) She said dont blow in my dds face because it will take her breath away, which I asked my doc about and he said constantly maybe but it just makes the baby remember to breath, which I do when my dd gets hurt and doesnt take a breath while crying. she has said many many bad ones!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i have been if you dont put socks on your infant, your baby will get cholic. i was told if they develop faster, it means that you will have another child sooner; if you tickle their feet, they will stutter. lol thats just some of the "advice" i got. my family is full of wives tales.
    Anonymous

• Don't listen to your headphones so loud. The noise will make your baby go deaf.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 2:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Former MIL told me that I would need to get a rope and tie my son to a tree because that is what she had to do to his Dad to keep him from playing in the road. I thought it was the WORST idea I ever heard of! Personally, when my kids play outside I WATCH them instead of tieing them to a tree!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Oh SabrenaLeigh!!! Spoon it out? OMG! That is HORRIBLE!! I think that would qualify as child abuse in this day and age!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• thats pretty much what I told her along with her being a nut
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i was tickling my baby when she was about 6 months and was told " dont tickle a baby , it makes them crazy"!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• oh and i was bare foot when i was prego with my middle girl and her great grandma told me to put shoes on before the babys feet got cold!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i was told that crying is good for the babies lungs, maybe its true but i couldnt let my baby just sit there and CRY!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i wish i had some helpful advice..lol!! no one had a clue what to do with our son..he was colic filled all day for 6 months.. we basically tried it all and then some.. I am just thankful we all made it!!
    Anonymous