baby doesnt want to sleep?

usually ds who is almost 7 months is awake by 5 or 6 am then we play and cuddle and he has his bottle and then goes down for his nap by 9 or 10 am and sleep til 12 or 1 pm and its been like this since maybe 4 months old but today he woke up at 5 am then didnt go down for a nap until almost noon but then only slept maybe 10 minutes and has so much energy wanting to play and will cry if im not playing with him and entertaining him but why doesnt he want to sleep is something wrong or is this just his new thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he getting ready to do something new, like getting teeth or learning to crawl or stand, etc? I have read that this can cause a temporary change in sleep patterns because baby's brain is just so busy working on the new skill that they don't want to waste time sleeping. The good news is that it always says it is a short disruption to the schedule so hopefully that is the case here. Seven months seems a bit young to be outgrowing two naps a day- does he normally nap again in the afternoon? If it continues maybe try putting him to bed a little later in hopes he will sleep a little later and then take one big nap mid-day, but I would give this a week or so and he should probably go back to his regular schedule.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• op - he usually takes the morning nap the one he skipped today and then another one in the late afternoon/early evening then he goes to bed pretty late as it is for example a normal day would be up at 6am nap at 10am wake at 1pm nap at 6pm up at 9pm sleep at 1am repeat and he already has his two bottom teeth can sit independently can crawl and stand while supporting himself on something so maybe he is learning but im not sure what and he never had a disrupted schedule while all those things happened so i dont know thank you though
    Anonymous

• Maybe he is getting ready to learn to walk. Or maybe he is outgrowing this schedule and needs it tweaked. 1 am is really late for a baby to be up, I would think he should be sleeping more like 9-12 hours at night, instead of just getting a 5 hour stretch. Maybe try cutting out that 6 pm nap but then putting him to bed for the night between 7 or 8 and trying to get him to sleep thru until 6 am or so, then maybe taking one big nap or even taking a nap around 9:30 and another at 1:00 or so, but don't let him sleep so long for the morning nap, like only an hour. I'm just thinking out loud. I have tried to watch my DD's cues for when she gets tired and sort of schedule her day around that so that I am kind of working with her natural rhythms as much as possible. She did change sleep schedules a bit at 7-8 months (that is when she first got on a real good set schedule) and then again at about 12 months she went down to one nap. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• PS- Not criticizing the 1 am bedtime, it just seems really late but I know every baby is different and this might be what works best for your son and your family. I just don't want you to think I was judging. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• op - I didn't feel like you are judging I feel the same way about the late bedtime but that is just how he works it has always been that way this was his schedule that he made i just followed in sync and i havent been able to find a way to actually put him down to sleep on my schedule and keep him asleep because then he will only sleep maybe an hour tops usually not even that long i guess i will just have to wait it out thank you!
    Anonymous

• right now my baby is 10 months he wakes up sometimes from 12am to 4am and then sometimes he will be up 2 until 6 am... this has been happening now for 4 days. and he is doing the same thing trying to learn to walk and pull himself up on things... plus he is teething... it is kindof stressful on the nights i have to work at 4 am in the morning but i get help usually those nights.
    Anonymous