How many of you feel like helmets aren't a necessity for your kid(s)?

sort of a s/o of my ? about car seats. I work for a TBI specialist and we see lots of people (adults AND kids) who have been in accidents where they weren't wearing a helmet and they have severe brain damage. I never knew the numbers were so high until I worked here!

Luvmylilmonkies

Asked by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Well, I dont wear a helmet. My 2 year old does. I dont think Ive worn a helmet since I was.....9ish? Somewhere around there. Anywhose I will require my son to wear a helmet.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• my DS has to put his helmet on before we even get his bike out
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Kids should start wearing helmets when they start riding a tricycle. They make toddler helmets and often hospitals will give them away. We used to live in Indianapolis and one of my sons was a patient of a doctor at Riley Children's Hospitals. Her two areas of research were car seats and helmets so I have know about the importance for 20+ years.

A friend's father used to make fun of my son wearing a helmet. Then his grandson was in a bike accident and he wasn't wearing a helmet. He became a patient of the doctor I was talking about. We were living 80 miles from that hospital. The grandson lived but was in the hospital a long time and never walked or talked again. He was 14 when he had the accident. It was so sad, the doctor told the family he would have been fine if he had worn a helmet.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• This is the way I see it, we never did it when we were children and we are all fine. I think people just get too over protective, sh*t happens it is a part of life, the only time my girls wear helmets is if they are in the racing go-cart on on the 4-wheeler otherwise riding a bike no.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Gailll, we have a patient who was in a similar situation... at 14 as well. I currently have a patient who was just 10 when he was hit by a car (riding his bike) in his neighborhood. He still has cognitive issues and his speech is lacking. He has the cognition of about an 8 yr old, but he is 15. VERY sad.

lapcounter, medicine has made extreme advances. Do you not give your kids certain medications simply b/c you didn't have them when you were a kid? I guess I just see too many "shit happens" accident victims where I work.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No helmet, no bikes at my house. And if you start from as soon as they are on a bike (mine wore a helmet in the seat on the back of my bike) it's not a big deal. They don't even question it. Yeah, I didn't wear a helmet and I'm fine, but that's pure luck. Shit happens is when you get road rash from falling off your bike, not when you get brain damage from not wearing protective gear. That's tragic.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Helmets, knee pad and even elbow pads are a must in my house. (er, not for me, i dont ride a bike any more lol)
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My rule is if it has wheels you must use a helmet. I just got my 1 year old fitted for a helmet today since when the snow is gone we'll be getting out the little baby tricycle. My 8 year old crashed his bike right in front of my neighbor and myself last summer, he hit so hard it knocked 2 baby teeth out and cracked his helmet. Because he was wearing a helmet we just went to the dentist for x-rays to make sure he didn't damage anything else. If he hadn't been wearing it he would have been taken away in an ambulance. Even after all of that my neighbor still doesn't make her kids wear helmets, because they don't like them. :( Anyway, yes my kids where helmets 100% of the time when riding bikes, scooters, 4 wheelers, skateboards, roller blades, etc...
    Anonymous

• Is anyone else dumbfounded that people are ignorant enough to use trhe "I didn't wear one and I'm fine" argument. Yes, $shit does happen. And if you're wearing a helmet, that $hit is less $hitty. Why is it so difficult to put a helmet on a kid. My cousin was in the hospital for a month because he was hit by a car while on a sidewalk. No helmet. Doc said he would've not needed brain surgery if he'd worn onr. But you people would argue he was just fine. Idiots. Protecting your child from death isn't overprotective, morons. It's common fraking sense and a helmet is less than $50. A casket or brain surgery is a lot more.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I don't really know how to answer this. As kids no one wore helmets and you didn't hear about all these accidents. But as an adult a friend of mine was killed riding his bike and he had a helmet on. They don't seem to know what happened but speculation is that he hit a rut at a decent speed. All I know is his helmet shattered and he was killed. I wanted to get another bike until then. Now I won't ride one.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 8:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010