Do you HAVE to take prenatals?

I tried to take them with my first pregnancy but they all made me sick. So i took 2 Flinstone Vitamins a day. With this pregnancy, I don't have time to remember to take them...plus they are making me sick. Is this going to harm my baby or cause him to be not as smart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You don't HAVE to take them, but I'd suggest adjusting your diet so you get more calcium and other nutrients that the baby will deplete from your system.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• well I couldnt take them either but yes, you really should take at least the flinstones and for sure folic acid!!! FIND TIME..
    Anonymous

• Its really the only thing you can do to insure your babies health before its born. Not making time to take them makes me wonder what kind of mother you will be.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It's a good idea to take some sort of vitamin while pregnant, it's just that prenatals have what a pregnant woman needs in one convenient package. If you can get the nutrients in the prenatals from your diets in the amounts needed, you don't really need to take the prenatals. Most of us, though, simply can't get that much of what we need every day. I didn't remember my vitamins for about half of my pregnancy and my baby was fine, but there were days where I know I would have felt better if I had remembered a prenatal or other vitamin.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Prenatals are a really good idea, but no one can make you take them. It's hard to get all the nutrients baby needs no matter how well you eat. It's especially important in first trimester while organs are developing. I have been really nauseous my entire pregnancy so far (almost at end of 1st trimester) and frequently feel worse after taking the vitamins. I have tried a variety of things... taking them at night seems to help. Also, I was at the OB's office yesterday and talked to her about this - she gave me samples of "Citra-Natal" with extra B and some B6 lollipops/lozenges. I felt really good this morning! A grocery store chain in my area (Market Street) gives FREE prenatals... get the OB and ask about it - there are a variety of prenatals for different problems (e.g. stool softeners). Not sure about all the $4 Rx programs out there, but I encourage you to try some different ones.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No you don't have to take them as long as you have a perfect diet.

Do you have a perfect diet?

My suggestion would be to make it a priority. It doesn't sound like you have done that so far.

They made me sick to so I took them with orange juice and then ate something with protien in it like a cheese stick right before bed. Then I would eat 5 saltines before getting out of bed in the morning. That helped with some of the sickness.

Anonymous

• The thing is that your body will make sure the baby is supplied with nutrients before you are, so your baby may not suffer if you have a very healthy diet, but you might end up with a few deficiencies which may or may not cause complications on your end. And folic acid is a must no matter what. It isn't stored, so you have to get large amounts somehow every day. Pills are the easiest way to get that.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well you at the very least need to be taking Folic Acid and Iron.

Folic Acid helps prevent nureal tube defects (a form of brain damage). Many foods contain this but most women don't eat enough of these types of food or are unable to eat enough of them to reach the minimum amount of Folic Acid you need in a day to prevent defects.

Iron is essential in new cell formation as well as red blood cell formation so it's very important have enough Iron while pregnant.

It's important...MAKE THE TIME. If you can make the time to eat, shower, get on the computer, etc. than you can make the time to take prenatals. You just have to WANT to.
    Anonymous

• You don't HAVE to, but i fyou don't want to I'd suggest at least taking a calcium and folic acid supplement.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• with my first I took a prenatal every single day. she turned out fine. My second I forgot to take them all the time and probably didnt take them as much as I did. She turned out fine. now with my 3rd I havent taken one single vitamin and I am 5 months along and he looks fine. Just make sure you eat heathy and everything should be ok! GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2010