should I open up an in home daycare?

Im really considering opening an inhome daycare. I enjoy kids so that won't bother me and we could definately use the money. Has anyone does this, and do you like or dislike it? What parts?

Ilovemychi

Asked by Ilovemychi at 3:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sure. Many moms have done it. I wouldn't do it because I'm so tired of listening news about children being neglected in daycare.
    Anonymous

• I had one for a while. I LOVED it but we lived in a bad location for it so it was hard to get kids in. we lived in the middle of nowhere. It's A LOT of work and will probably tke you close to a year to get it up and going. The first thing for you to do if you decide you wanna do it i go to your DHR office and put in application. They'll give you paperwork to get fingerprints and a back-ground check done. That takes the longest. It took mine 5 months to come back. If other adults live in your house, they'll have to do it too. You have to have a certain amount of hours in CER classes. I had to have 24, but it varies.At DHR they'll give you a huge handbook with all the stuff you have to do and have. You'll have to be certified in first aid and CPR. Make sure if you live inside city limits that there aren't any zoning laws for your location. You'll need to go to city hall for that. You'll need to do a TB skin test.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It's really A LOT of work to get started but once you get opened it'll go a lot smoother. And it really is worth it. I had a blast with it. I would still be doing it if we hadn't of moved.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• do you really want to be stuck in your home ALL DAY LONG. You rarely get vacations because you are the one thier parents depend on to take care of thier children CONSISTANTLY. You would get weekends off if that was your choice, but besides that vacation and time off are a rarity.
    Anonymous

• Anon ;49

She could get a sub for her. Then if she needed to go out the sub could come in and stay for a while.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have considered it... but I think it'd be too much. For me anyway. I'm always available well usually if a friend or family needs a sitter for the day... but full time, I already have a fulltime house.

If you do it slowly creep into it... adding one kid at a time so you don't overwhelm yourself. : ) Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I kept kids when I was younger. LOL Now I think I wouldn't mind a couple but no more than that. I want to be able to go out if I have to not be stuck at home.
    The worst part was parents who didn't pay or were always making excuses. Otherwise not a problem.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You can start out part time just to give it a trial. I did it a few times, one child at a time, not as a serious business but just watching kids from other moms that I met. I bet alot of families out there need help. GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• *sorry - not part time, I meant, just one or two kids to start.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010