I snapped today & told my 8 year old DD that her dad is a bad parent

I don't know how to fix this. I feel so guilty. He is not so great at parenting. His personal life is most imortant to him. She went over there yesterday, he was not even there. He left her with grandma when he hasent seen her in two weeks. Sent her to school in shabby clothes, didnt do homework with her because he had other things to do. He just really made me mad. Anyway...what should i do? I feel horrible for saying this to DD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Be honest, tell her you got really mad and said some things you wish you could take bad. Tell her that you see that she gets frustrated with her father and that you feel the same way sometimes. It's not the end of the world, you just need to do a little damage control. Tell her that her father loves her and while he might not always do things the way you would as a parent that he does the best he can right now. Obviously you already understand the importance of not bad-mouthing your kid's dad in front of her, so just apologize, explain and move forward. Use it as a good lesson for your daughter that it isn't good to say things when you are angry but that if you do it is right to apologize and acknowledge your mistake.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well stated MaryMW. The most important lesson you can teach your daughter is that even you make a mistake. By admitting this, it shows that it is human and how you should admit that mistake.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Tell her you are sorry and that you shouldnt have said anything bad about her father. Tell her you were just frustrated with his behavior. More than likley in her head already she was questioning why he acts this way.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2010