Did you give birth with an epidural once and then go without?

When I was in labor with my son, i remember I was at 5cm and anesthesia still hadn't gotten there. I was in extreme pain, so bad that I was having trouble breathing....but I remember thinking "if this is as bad as it gets, i can do this without" Anesthesia got there a couple minutes later, and they stuck that thing in my back during a contraction. I was sooo scared I would move and be paralyzed for ever. I ended up having an emergency c-section and they gassed me, i woke up hours later.

I think this time I want to go without the epidural. Do you think it will be much more painful than what I experienced during my last visit to the maternity ward?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an epidural at 5 cm with my first also, but my thinking was very different. I thought, "Wow if it's this bad at 5 cm I don't even want to know how bad it will be in transition! I don't ever ever ever want a natural birth!" My first was a really long labor (about 28 hours) and I got sent home from the hospital once during it. So, with my second I decided to wait it out as long as I could. I waited until I felt the same as I had at 5 cm with the first. When I got to the hospital I was 9 almost 10 cm. So. yes I had an epidural with my first and not my second. I've heard the first labor is typically the hardest and longest. So it's worth it to try. By the way I did have an epidural again with my 3rd even though I wasn't planning on it. I guess I'm too much of a wimp to go through the pain when I know I have other options.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I had an epidural with my son & I thought the same thing- If this is as bad as it gets then why get the drugs? Then I had a horrible reaction to the epidural, my blood pressure crashed & had to have drugs to counteract the epidural effects. I think Ill be going without the epidural for round 2.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• w/ your first were you restricted to bed or were you free to move around? did you go in w/ some ideas on how to manage the pain other than w/ drugs?

my feeling is that if you prepare for a natural birth, the pain will be A LOT LESS than what you experienced. gl!
    Anonymous

• i had an all natural birth with my first lots of pain and 24 hrs long... with my 2nd i decided to get one like it at first then it made me stop dilating uhh so now im 27 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and im going to go the natural way again
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I had one with my first and I didn't have one with my second.

My second labor was AMAZING and I wouldn't have changed a thing. I will never go the epi route again.
    Anonymous