*labor questions*

My 36week check up is monday & im trying to put together a list of Q/A to ask doc concerning labor. I know most hospitals wont admit you until you are @ least 3cm dialated or having contractions about 7min apart... but Im sure there are things Im not thinkin about. Any suggestions?

mommyw2010

Asked by mommyw2010 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My dr wouldn't admit me until my contractions were 5min for an hour! Other than that I would talk about epidural if you decide to do that, how many people you can have in the room and things like that. As for what happens when you get there...they will hook you up to two moniters (one to measure contractions and one to moniter the baby's heartrate). They will check you , possibly make you walk or try to rest depending on how you are progressing. Good luck!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i certainly wouldn't WANT to go to the hospital when ctx were 7 minutes apart. you would likely be there waiting forever. :)

i asked things like

Episiotomy rate/pitocin rate/c-section rate?
    Can i be monitored intermittedly rather than continuously hooked up to the EFM?
    can i labor/birth in water?
    Am i free to decline IV/heploc?
    Am i free to labor in any position i want?
    can baby room-in w/ me?
    Can baby stay w/ me for an hour or 2 before any routine tests?
    Anonymous

• I have been 3 cm for a week now, so it varies on your doc... are you concerned about them taking your baby out of the room without you, what testing they do, if this is your first ask about how long you will be there. They made me stay 48 hours with my first and only 24 with my second.
    With my second I was more perpared and new what I wanted, so I made sure that all testing was done in my room with me (some hospitals do this) and was only taken out first thing in the morning to be seen by the pediatrician (which I was present at in the nursery) I made sure he didn't leave my sight!
    Anonymous

• I was told it didn't matter how far apart my contractions were when I was in labor, it mattered how thinned out my cervix was. And I had to be 4cm dilated before I was admitted.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You should also talk about your birthing plans etc. Like if you're planning to breastfeed you need to make that clear to your midwife or doctor, and have them to take note in your file. Also, the fact that if you are breastfeeding you need to make sure they use no bottles(unless medical reason)or pacifiers if that's what your plan is. Thats what I told my doctor last week. Discuss all the pain management etc.....Just think of all the things you REALLY want to know because no question is a stupid question.
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2010