Tea Party Endorses a Democrat? Thoughts?

When the Tea Party Express last week endorsed Idaho Rep. Walt Minnick — the only Democrat to receive the backing of the conservative grassroots group — one of his Republican challengers said he was simply baffled .
Sal Russo, a strategist with Tea Party Express, said the group did reach out to a number of groups and activists, many of whom support Minnick. Democrats who “are willing to stand up to Pelosi and Reid” should get support from Tea Party organizations “to encourage others” to act similarly, he said.
“When you find someone willing to stand up, you got to stand up with him,” Russo said.
The strategist said he wouldn’t be surprised to see the group add another Democrat or two to the list. “It can’t be a one-party issue. Fiscal responsibility has to be embedded in both parties,” he said.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we've all been in agreement that the basic message of the TEA Party is that they want smaller government and less taxes, and that they will back anyone who agrees with them.

Should Minnick be considered a DINO?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Should Minnick be considered a DINO?

***

Only if that means he's a fiscal conservative!!!

Or.....

Dino Flintstone

LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Good Question gdiamante. I think his selection demonstrates the importance of choosing politicians who posess the greatest  fiscal discipline.  I don't think he is a DINO...  He voted for Pelosi.  I am sure, given the chance, he would d it again...  But he isn't afraid of her and has displayed more fiscal constraint than his Republicans challenger (according to the article I read) ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• There was a democrat at our TEA party too... running against pete stark. I'm supporting another candidate only because I'm not gunna change parties to vote for one candidate (in the primaries)... but I certainly hope our district opens their eyes and sees what a liar stark is. I doubt they will though... starks been in office so long I think he may die there.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• There are good Democrats, it's the progressives who disquise themselves as Democrats that are the problem. They have taken over the Dem party.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It can’t be a one-party issue. Fiscal responsibility has to be embedded in both parties,” he said.

This^

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• What sister said!! I don't think the important thing is the D or the R or even the I. It is the fiscal responsibility that is the MOST important thing to consider.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We all thought Stupak was a 'good' democrat and he sold out.Most of them who acted 'good' sold out.Democrats are for government expansion how is that conservative?
    Anonymous

• Most of the dems in DC now are like that, the party has been taken over by progressives. That is why it is so important to find the dems that ARE fiscally conservative. Stupak never struck me as a fiscal conservative, his issue was abortion.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• What's funny is the progressives have taken the democrat party away from the liberals and most of them on here don't even realise it.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2010