Honestly how many of you allow your religious beliefs to interfers with want you or your children read and watch?

There was just a post about Harry Potter and how it is dark, and opens the door to witch craft.
I have heard many things about Lord of the rings, any movie that has gay people/stories, like a million other books, and movie s.
I mean seriously since when did being religion begin to mean imagination and fantasy was such a bad and evil thing?
I just don't get it I grew up on horror flicks I'm not a serial Killer no evil spirits came in and altered my life or thinking. My favourite TV shows are medium, ghost whisperer, charmed, and supernatural. I don't think I have been changed by watching them. Shoot I always thought they were just sci-fi. Of course recently I learned Medium was based of a real person, and that charmed has some truth. However I didn't become truly interested in witch craft until I started READING facts. Which has only been the last few wks. I've watch those shows for some time now.
So seriously what is the deal

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There have always been people who wanted to censor what their families saw, listened to and read.

Since I believe that everyone should be able to explore different ideas, I have never tried to do this with my kids. Of course, I would not let them read or watch R rated things when they were really little. I'm not stupid I know what age appropriate things are... but I didn't keep them from reading fantasy, sci-fi or things like that.

I've ALWAYS been interested in super natural things, even as a child, so my favorite shows are Medium and Fringe, and LOST of course...
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 5:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My kids watch whatever they want in terms of religion(obviously I limit their choices based on age appropriateness). Heck one of their favorite movies is The Prince of Egypt ad we're atheist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• that seems so closed minded- just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's not out there. you can't shelter from everything!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I'm sure that those people who censor what they and their children watch and read based upon their religion, do not feel that it is interfering with their life nor is it a sacrifice. It is something that they do not believe in and do not want their children exposed to.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No, I can't say that I have. I have said 'no' to certain movies based on whether I think they are age-appropriate (my kids are almost 8, almost 6, and 3... so obviously no R rated horror flicks or mafia movies just yet!) But I can't say that I've ever restricted for a religiously based reason. Actually, right now my middle child is reading a book that directly references Jesus that she picked herself from the library. I have no issue with that.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• we dont really limit our tv watching based on religion. our son is 3 and we are a christian family but love watching supernatural, witchcraft kind of things (medium, charmed, etc.). we are pretty laid back about this kind of thing.
    Anonymous

• It's not "interfering", it's dictating. And yes my beliefs dictate what my daughter can read, and watch.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Your question is worded in a confusing manner, but it is only natural for a parent to let their beliefs influence what goes on in their house. There is nothing wrong with taking your beliefs and incorporating them to what your read, watch and do for entertainment. AND if a mom did NOT allow their beliefs to influence their household she would be called hypocritical.
    Anonymous

• I could try but since no one else cares or feels the same way I do. I just make sure to tell them what is real and pretend. According to the bible we are not held accountable by our actions until we are twenty years of age. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I'm more concerned about things that are truly inappropriate. I won't let my young child watch, say, Southpark or anything that would be on "adult swim" etc. Harry Potter, LoTR, Twilight, etc I'm not worried about. As long as you teach your children when things are fake or are wrong in your religion etc etc I will let them explore providing it isn't vulgar, etc.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010