How old is TOO old for a spanking?

If I recall correctly, my mother stopped beating me when I became a teenager, at 13. Right now my 15yr old is getting a little mouthy. Nothing out of hand, but I don't want it to get out of hand either. I've talked to her about it, but I think the influence of her "friends" and how they address their mom's is kind of rubbing off on her. The last few times I've been really tempted to haul off and smack her, I didn't. Just sent her to her room. There's a thin line btw discipline and abuse these days. She's my first, and oldest of four. Any expert mom's out there who can tell me how old TOO old his to physically discipline your child?

Dmommy4

Asked by Dmommy4 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have four kids ages 17,14,12, and 8. I can't say that any of them has been spanked in a while but I wouldn't put up with them being disrespectful to me. I remember the last time I got spanked and I was almost 17. My mom didn't play games. I think it's a phase, they're trying to see how much we'lll take or what they can get away with. The rules are there to help and protect them whether they realize it or not. Stand your ground.
    flippedmylid

Answer by flippedmylid at 10:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I am not an expert...but if my child said something too ugly to me I wouldnt hesitate to give a pop in the mouth up to and possibly past age 18...lol

Just depends on the situation. I am the mother and they must respect me with the words that come out of their mouth.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Sabrina, it reallly depends on the child. My daugher said something ugly to my husband and he told her that she 'should' be spanked. She's 16. She hasn't been spanked in years and wasn't on that day either. Next thing you know...my daughter is acting the fool and called the cops. They came and went, no one was actually spanked....but they said you can not put your hands on a child this age...ever...and that you must talk it out. Makes it darned hard around here knowing that you can't even SAY the wrong thing thinkin that they will call the cops. : (
    Anonymous

• i dont spank my 8 year old anymore because its now embarassing to her. it makes her feel inferior. it used to work but not now. now the only hting that works is a very strict grounding to the room where i bring her meals and everything. her only way out is a need to pee. i never ground her for more than a day and she keeps it in mind for a good month each time.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe any child is too old, whether they are 5 or 35... My dad has only physically hit me (aside from spankings) was when I was 14. He caught me smoking, I called him a bastard. So I did deserve it. He smacked me right on the mouth ( didn't bruise/bleed or anything like that) and you can believe I've never cussed my father since then!! If your daughter needs put in her place, then by all means, do it Momma!!! Let her know as her mother you demand the respect you deserve.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Spanking is wrong - hitting and being aggressive towards another human being is WRONG. A child does not deserve to be treated that way and it shows your lack of understanding about other human beings especially your own kids.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Hitting your child, or anyone, is wrong at ANY age.
    MommyKelley04

Answer by MommyKelley04 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• im not an expert mom and i only have a 3 year old right now BUT i can tell you the last time i got my a** beat-i was 17 years old lol. i deserved it though.
    Anonymous

• Not sure, my mom stopped spanking us about the time I turned 12. I found out years later from my dad that she thought we'd turn around and hit her back. Yeah...right! And still expect my dad to have let us live? My own kids are 21 and 25, I honestly cannot remember when I stopped spanking them. It was fairly young I think, it never seemed to help anyway.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i didnt stop getting my ass whooped until I was 18.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2010