Do you think he will die?

My small dog had puppies today -- I had to break the bag for all of them and had to pull 2 of them out becaue she wouldnt push them.... and I also had to cut one of the cords... the last puppy ( the runt) , she PULLED his cord all the way out and he started gushing blood...we called the vet ( the only one around here) and she said to super glue it closed and to wrap cloth around it..we used medical gauze material...and I plan on cleaning it ...but what do you think the chances are ...the vet really couldnt say and she also said she really cant do anything, and to just let "nature take its course" ... I feel so bad and I just dont know what I can do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pets

• sometimes it happens. whether its from the trauma of having his cord ripped out, shock, or just being so small. but its not a gaurantee. sometimes the runts are the ones that surprise you and survive when they shouldnt have. gl and i hope the little guy lives.
    Anonymous

• What kind of dogs are they?
    Anonymous

• dachsound mixed with maltese
    Anonymous

• SO I hope that after this you are going to fix your poor dogs.

Your vet is right, there isn't much you can do to help him. Just hope he makes it..clean the cord with peroxide to avoid infections.

THIS is why people need to get their animals fixed..to avoid something like this. And, its dachshund.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Don't use peroxide. Peroxide can cause worse tissue damage. Use a mild iodine solution, and use cloth or sponge pads ~ not gauze. The gauze can grow/fasten itself into the wound as it heals. If the pup makes it through the night pick up a roll of vet wrap tomorrow to hold the pad in place. For tonight, keep the pup away from the mom ~ but put it with her to nurse once an hour or so (yes, long night!). If you leave the pup with her she may lick the bandage off, or cause more damage trying to clean the puppy. Use either a heating pad on low (under a box and with a towel inside the box) or a hot water bottle to keep the puppy warm. Wash your hands before and after handling the pup so you don't contaminate the wound accidently. Tomorrow, check to see if the skin around the wound is bonding. Once it does, you can put the pup back in with the rest. Watch for infection ~ you'll need antibiotics if you see any swelling. GL
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Acid did it ever acure to you that maybe they breed and sale?

Good lord lighten up!
    Anonymous

• There is nothing you can do at this point. Its a waiting game from this point on. Take you Vet's Advice and actually listen to what he or she said. They know whats best!
    Anonymous

• Farmlady, thank you, I meant iodine and it came out peroxide.
    Anon @ 11 17...if she is breeding mixed breed dogs then she is a backyard breeder. The only people that should be breeding dogs are people who are aware of what they are doing. Have done health checks on their dogs and don't breed any ol thing that happens to look pretty. Responsible pet owners have their dogs fixed...and are not out to make money on them.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I know nothing about puppies so I have no clue. I have only had a guinea pig give birth and her 1st baby was stillborn. I didn't breed her....I was a go to person for a rescue group and they brought her to me IN LABOR the night they rescued her from a sitiation where 100+ guinea pigs were living in a basement. I would never intentionally breed animals. Please get your dog fixed. Also, for anyone planning TO breed dogs or who has a dog get pregnat by accident, get them prenatal vet care. we do it for humans, we should do it for animals. Perhaps if your vet KNEW your dog and had been seeing her while she was pregnant she would have been there when the dog had her pups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i think if it's healthy and you can get the blood to stop bleeding then i think it's chances are really good. sorry for the bad experience. i was scared when our dog had pups too but i had did extensive research and read just about everything on the internet about birthing puppies etc. although sometimes things happen such as this that isn't taught or you read online. i hope it makes it. let us know or at least me. also just curious why the 2 breeds. it doesn't sound as though they'd be very cute. although i have never seen one.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010