would you call cps

I have a neighbor..I dont know her well but she has 4 boys and about once or twice a month she loudly yells at the oldest who I think is about 12 that he is dumb stupid she wishes he was never born. It is clearly emotional abuse but I dont hear it often. I have been to her house once when I was dropping off a a christmas card and its a nice clean house (i know that really does not matter im justsayin) the kids range from ages about 12 to a baby. They are good kids when they are out playing and always supervised. She is friendly when I talk to her and loving to her kids in public expect that once or twice a month. I dont know if CPS would even do anything but it makes me so sad when I hear the things she says..shouldI just mind my own business

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Every stupid call like this takes personnel away from REAL cases of child abuse. Take a minute and think about the real, devastating traumas that WON'T be seen by overworked, underpaid personnel while they're out talking to this woman, her kids, their teachers.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i dont think cps would do anything without visible signs of abuse to be honest with you. i know your intentions are good but i dont think there is really anything that will be done if they arent being neglected or visibly abused.
    Anonymous

• I dont know if I would call CPS on something that sporadic. Youre right to feel uncomfortable I would! But unforutnately sometimes we all say things and yell at our kids or SO and arent bad or neglectful. in my opinon.. maybe her 12 year old is driving her nuts right now and she might need some time off. Offer to keep her kids every now and then, or get to know her better. Maybe SHE needs a friend and someone to vent to. Ya know if some woman dont have hubbies that listen or no one at all they CAN take it out on their kids! NOT that its acceptable but ya know what I mean! Just keep an eye on them and see what happens.
    Anonymous

• no i dont think you need to call. i dont think she is trying to be that way. we all know teenagers a hard to handle at times. maybe she doesnt know how to deal with it. our first children are like a big experiment. we are learning to be parents with them.its a new stage for her.i would maybe offer her a friendly conversation. "sounds like your haveing a rough day...if you need to talk im next door" maybe instead of yelling next time she will come and talk first.
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP, CPS normally only steps in when there is physical abuse going on. I sure am sorry to hear that this is happening and I know it has got to be hard for you to listen to. In my opinion it doesn't matter how many times it has happened, just that one time is enough to emotionally affect a child.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I do know for a fact her DH works long hours..maybe she is just really overwelmed. My I can suggest we take our LO's to the park one day and I can try and get to know her more
    Anonymous

• Its certainly not the best thing to say to your child and we all yell at times. I know I do. But like the first response, cps wont do anything unless they see visible signs, sad but true. I would certainly keep my eyes and ears open, just in case. Its good to know others would do what I would do too.
    Anonymous

• You would probably be making matters worse. Ask if she ever needs a sitter or anything~ that might be helpful to take some pressure off her but to call cps and cause more strees in the family probably not wisest idea.
    Anonymous

• No, it's not a CPS case because she yells at her kids. A lot of parents get frustrated. How would possibly having that 12 year old thrown in foster care help him out?
    Anonymous

• If CPS came to everyones house who yelled at their kids, alot of people wouldn't have their kids. I think they look more for physical abuse than emotional. Not saying emotional abuse isn't bad.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010