Knock off from my other name question

So, for those of you who provided Bible verses for why you believe the name does matter, can you tell me why? Why would God care what name He is called by? What difference does it make if one leads a good life but calls It by a different name?

- Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't give bible qoutes, but I don't think some one who is truly omnipotent, or all knowing would focus so much on a name used.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• As long as you are referring to Him as HIM, as THE ONLY GOD, I don't think it matters. It is when we worship other gods or idols that it angers Him.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Because he has only ONE name and wants us to use it, same for his son. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Here is where you may find your answers.

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• In reference to the Christian God, yes, the name does matter. Why? Because he himself made such a point of making it matter. In early religions people believed that by knowing the true name of God you could control him. So the God of the Israelites refused to give people a name in order to deny them from controlling him. The name he gave was YHWH meaning "my name is my name"

By refusing to supply a name he did in fact make it matter, because it is something that is important to him, and thus, to his followers...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Does not the name put value to say, a painting? Picasso, Leonardo, would you pay for a fraudulent painting what one would pay for the genuine one?

Jehovah makes clear He is the only True God, Universal Sovereign as opposed to all other gods which are just Satan's inventions to take worship to himself.... Jehovah is the Genuine and all others are frauds.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina and I think it matters. For instance, when you pray, you say God's name to direct your prayer to him. God wanted his name known according to the bible. Jesus made God's name known in John 17:26. Its actually kind of funny to me in some translations of the bible it says something so generic like....Make my name known and it is....Lord. lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Daphna
    i appreciate the site. i do plan to read through it later, but for now i was just skimming. well ...and i read this
    "Suppose your name were Michael. Would you know I meant you if I called out, “Hey, Sam”? Habitually calling you by another name would deeply offend you and cause you to wonder why I stubbornly refused to use your name. Besides, the name Sam signifies someone else entirely."

How rude of the author of this site to assume so much about me. Honestly, i am often called by a name that is not my own but i am NEVER offended. And what's more, a name CAN come to signify anyone as long as it is accepted.

- Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• Ex 3:14, God’s own self-designation; Leeser, “I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE”; Rotherham, “I Will Become whatsoever I please.” Gr., E‧go′ ei‧mi ho on, “I am The Being,” or, “I am The Existing One”; Lat., e′go sum qui sum, “I am Who I am.” ’Eh‧yeh′ comes from the Heb. verb ha‧yah′, “become; prove to be.” Here ’Eh‧yeh′ is in the imperfect state, first person sing., meaning “I shall become”; or, “I shall prove to be.” The reference here is not to God’s self-existence but to what he has in mind to become toward others. Compare Ge 2:4 ftn, “Jehovah,” where the kindred, but different, Heb. verb ha‧wah′ appears in the divine name.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Your welcome. It also explains why J-hovah isn't the name considering there is no J in the Hebrew alphabet. All of that good stuff. As far as the author goes, I am not him, but men like cold hard facts they go straight to the point. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2010