Book recommendations - what do you read to your kids?

It never occurred to me to read anything much beyond Dr. Suess to my toddlers, but my 2 1/2 year old daughter insisted I read one of her older sister's books to her over the weekend and she sat still for 2 chapters of a book with no pictures. I still plan to read the toddler books to my twins, but I may also start reading chapter books to them. What chapter books do you enjoy reading to your kids? What books did you enjoy being read as a child? What books do your kids ask for over and over again? Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son's grandmother collects childrens' books. So we have tons. At 3 and a half he has some favorites. We have been through several kinds of favorites. Right now he listens to my husband read outloud from the Hobbit. We screne somethings and act out the parts. Edit to also make duller parts (dull for a toddler) more exciting. Just about all books he is into. On our nightstand right now: The Color of Us, On the Night You were Born, Hobbit, and Curious George. Odd mix.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My almost-3-yr-old loved me reading the Harry Potter series to him, and we're now in the middle of the Percy Jackson series. After that, I think we may try Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, as I've heard that's fun to read out loud. We still read picture books a good bit, but the chapter books are working well for bedtime for us. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My 4 year old likes the little house on the Prairie books. We haven't done any other chapter books yet.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My kids love the Magic Tree House series. And we've read the Little House series as well because it was a favorite of mine.

Answer by missanc at 7:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Thanks for sharing. We have a lot of these books, but I think my first daughter was older than the twins are now when we started reading them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2010