NST?

Does anybody know what an NST is? I'm supposed to start going once a week for a stress test and an NST and have no clue what it is...help!

kenzsmama

Asked by kenzsmama at 5:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Non-stress test. A stress test is when they simulate contractions and see how your baby handles them; a non-stress test is when they just monitor the baby's movements as-is.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• non stress test. I agree with dragon...it's to see if your body is under any stress. they monitor the baby's heartbeat.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It is a non stress test. They will strap you to monitors so they can see how the baby's heart rate responds to it's movements. Really simple and you can just sit there and relax.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It's not as bad as it sounds. You will either lay on a table or sit in a chair. they will hook up a monitor to your belly that will track the baby's heart rate and contractions. It does get old spending so much time at the doctor's office, and sometimes it will take twice as long as you expect if your baby is not cooperative.
    Anonymous

• It's pretty boring too so take something to read while its being done.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I've done tons of these! It's very common during gestational diabetes and late in pregnancy. At my drs I sat in a chair, and could read a magazine if I wished. They hooked up a monitor to my belly to record my baby's heart rate. Each time he/she kicked, I would click a button and it would make a little arrow on the printout of the heart rate. The drs want to see that the baby's heart rate is going up when they move, and then coming back down. They also want to have a record of so many movements within a certain period of time. I actually enjoyed it with my later pregnancies - one of the few times I got/get to sit down and just be still for a little!

Answer by missanc at 7:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2010