How can I get my 9 month old son to eat more food and drink less bottles?

My son Nikolas is 9 months old and it seems like he is not interested in eating food at all. He won't eat baby food, so I decided to start feeding him what we eat, but just mushing it up for him. That seemed to be working at first, but now some of the things that he showed he liked to eat he is acting like it is disgusting to him now! I don't know what to do! He hates eating food and only wants his bottle, but I have to think of something or else it's going to be near impossible to get him off of the bottle!

nikolasmommy117

Asked by nikolasmommy117 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep doing exactly what you are doing. Feed him food/ mushy or otherwise first, then bottle. You can also begin introducing the sippy cup. There are small sippy cups, about 4 oz in them, so when that is done you say "all gone" and if you are still hungry, here's more food.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Introduce the sippy cup for about a week, then pack up the bottles. ONLY GIVE HIM say, 3 bottles per day. Eventually he will get hte idea and he will EAT. He won't starve himself. So basically, don't give in to him. Give him a bottle at his 3 snacks and let him have water or juice in the sippy the rest of the day, and offer him food. It may take a couple of days.
    Then when he is used to the sippy, just take the bottle away and use the sippy for his milk/formula. That may take getting used to, too, but he won't starve himself!!! good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• He's still young. It's fine for him to not eat much solids yet. Keep giving him the bottle, and then offer solids after. BM/formula is the main source of nutrition until around 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My twins are 9 mos and I put them in a high chair twice a day and offer small things, peas, bananas, anything cut up. I always give a cup too. They sometimes eat it and sometimes just want the bottle. I figure they will get it eventually. I would suggest you try to feed him food right after he gets up and is rested. Mine tend to want a bottle when they are tired or overstimulated.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• He's only 9 months old, whether in a bottle or sippy he needs to be getting 320z MINIMUM of formula a day (assuming you're using formula). That's 4 bottles, 8oz each. Nothing wrong with a little more - my babes were drinking 48 oz a day plus eating a fair amount of solids (and they were not big babies by any means - they were all 20-21lbs at 1 year). He's not a year old yet, he still needs his main nutrition from that bottle - don't try to force more food into him if he's not ready!
    Anonymous

• thanks for the responses! I don't try to force him into eating. I give him bottles if he doesn't want to eat. I just really wasn't sure when he was supposed to start transitioning from bottle to solid food primarily!
    nikolasmommy117

Answer by nikolasmommy117 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Formula or breast milk should make up at least 75% of their caloric intake until 1 year. They still need the balance of fat/protein/carbohydrates/ vitamins and minerals that can only come from formula/BM. I'm not sure about formula, but I think they still need 24-32oz a day. "Real food" is just for practice right now. DD is 10m/o and she gets what we're eating mashed up or cut into little pieces. IMO, it's better for them to get used to real textures that way. I mean, except for the occasional bowl of applesauce, who eats their food strained and mushy? :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I know the feeling as well. My I am having a hard time getting my 9 month old to eat solids and finger foods as well as the sippy. At first, she seemed to be doing very well with her solids and just does not seem to want them any more. I am not sure if she is bored of them or just plain don't want it. Another problem I am having is getting her to gain weight. She is only 14lbs and weighed 6 lbs 9oz. at birth.She went to the pediatric pulmomary and the doctor suggested that I thicken her formula by mixing an extra scoop of formula and 1 ounce less of water. I was doing I was doing 4 scoops and 6 oz. of water that makes 8oz. So I was told to do 3 scoops and 5 oz. of water to make the 8oz. and then ading a small scoop of rice cereal ater it is mixed. Have any of you had this problem getting them to eat more and gain weight?
    athorne

Answer by athorne at 11:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2012