Putting a child with severe allergies in daycare or preschool?

If this were your child would you put him in daycare or preschool?

He is 2.5. He is allergic to ant bites and mosquito bites, and we were told to watch any other bug bites. We live in S. Ga and the bugs and ants are terrible. You have to watch him very closely, because he will not tell you if he gets bitten for fear of meds. and band-aides. We have a list of instructions and meds that have to be given as soon as he is bitten. He has an epi-pen.
The daycares and preschools here don't have a nurse, so we would have to count on the regular staff to do everything, call for help, and call us.

I just don't think one person can watch a group of 2 year olds outside and keep him safe and get them all inside to get his meds. I don't think it would be fare to other kids.
Some family think he needs to go to interact with other kids and I would love for him to make more friends, but I want to keep him safe and alive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would love to chat with you about this if you want. I'm a nurse in a preschool. I have questions, before I can answer you, lol....that's always the way with medical people, isn't it??? PM or friend me if you want.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have a son with severe milk and egg allergies. With milk being so much of a part of a "normal" toddlers life, I have decided not to put him in daycare/preschool. He's 22 months, he still doesnt understand his allergy, and it only takes a second for another childto give him something containing milk. Overprotective? maybe...but Id rather be paranoid than have to run to the hospital multiple times a week, or even worse, without my son because the symptoms went unnoticed or there was a dealy in getting his epi-pen.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 7:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Op here

Tarinia I understand you. My son is a normal toddler boy. He loves bugs and wants to catch them and hold them. He dosen't understand why he can't just pick up bugs like other kids. We got him a fish, then a turtle, then a frog that he can feed crickets. We try to make it so he can be as normal a little boy as possible.
    Anonymous

• What about finding a play group in your area for socialization? That way you're right there with him and can keep an eye on him yourself. I have 5 kids, my allergy child is the youngest, so he doesnt lack for socialization, even if he doesnt get much outside the home. My son also has a genetic disorder that causes developmental delays, so when he's 3, Ill have to make the decision of whether to discontinue his therapy through the schools, or enroll him in a headstart program at the school for children with special needs. Talk about between a rock and a hard place!
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 12:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• At 2 1/2? No, I don't think he needs to go and I think his allergic needs trump any independent socialization 'need.' My daughter has severe food allergies and she DID go to preschool. However, we did our homework first and she went to a place we felt confident could handle her needs well. She also went at 3 yrs old - a year after her diagnosis - and was well versed in her allergies at the time. I wouldn't trust her even today at 5 to be solely responsible for her health care BUT I know she's a tremendous self-advocate who *can* look out for herself. It's a very different spot than when she was 2.

Try mom-and-me programs for socialization. I do think preschool has a purpose and I am a strong advocate of it. However, I don't think it's a "must have" for everyone - especially when health issues complicate leaving a in someone else's care.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2010