Milk Supply Question

I am due August 4th and I have noticed that I have been leaking very small amounts of milk these past couple of weeks and I really want to breastfeed.. I was curious if I started to pump now would that help my supply come in better?

tasase

Asked by tasase at 6:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your supply won't come in until hormones make it...usually 4-7 days after birth. What you have now is colostrum. It is golden milk and amll amount are more concentrated until your milk comes fully in.

Don't worry about pumping until baby gets here.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• *small* rather than amll
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No it wont, but it might prepare you for whats to come. if this is your first breastfed baby you'll soon find out it isnt always as easy as everyone makes it sound.
    Do what ever you can to toughen up your nipples now. I wish i would have. someone suggested that i sew a rough towel into one of my bras.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If you pump now you might go into labor. I wouldn't risk it. No need to "toughen up" your nipples. If it hurts past the first few seconds you aren't doing it right. A consult with a lactation specialist after birth is a good idea. And it's true it's not as easy as it looks or sounds, but if you really want to breastfeed you gotta stick it out and seek help when you need it. Once you get it down it's pretty easy to keep going.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• And keep in mind that not all women can get milk out with a pump, not even the hospital grade ones. The amount you can pump is not an accurate reflection of how much you produce or how much babies get out when nursing. Also, there is no need to toughen up your nipples.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It's not milk. Do not pump the colostrum - it will not help your milk come in better or sooner. Just leave your boobies alone, and use breast pads in your bra if you have to.
    Anonymous

• Do NOT pump the colostrum, do NOT try to "toughen up" your nipples (as long as your baby as a good latch you will have very little discomfort).

Pumping could cause you to go into labor and it will NOT help your milk come in.

I would SERIOUSLY recommend you do some more research on breastfeeding before your baby is born so you will be fully prepared and more likely to suceed.
    Anonymous

• DO NOT pump now, it does cause your uterus to contract and could cause pre term labor. if you are worried about your nipples being ready for breastfeeding putting lanolin on them once a day in your last trimester can help. the only things that will help your supply come in are nursing your baby, drinking enough water, and resting when you can.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Thank you all so very much. I appreciate it and will certainly take your advice! TY TY TY
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 7:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010