If my sons father goes on disability for a back issue does he still have to pay child support?

How does that work if he is disabled and gets a disability check..will this still count as income or will he not have to pay child support?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• He still has the responsibility to his child. My guess, because I don't have this experience is that the court might modify his support amount to be "fairer' to HIM if his disability check is too low.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If I am not mistaken if its court order then he still have to pay.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If a parent gets disability the child gets it too. On your SS statement it tells you what you would get and what our child would get if you became disabled.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• That depends - if your ex husband gets social security disability, then your child is entitled to receive social security payments as well. If it's private disability, then your ex husband may or may not have to pay. My ex receives private disability and they lowered his payments to $275 (for 3 children!!) and removed all options of enforcement - which basically means he doesn't have to pay and they won't do anything to him!

Answer by missanc at 8:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• yes he does because it applies for every child even if u r on disability or no no offense
    :) <3=a heart
    cafemomsandra

Answer by cafemomsandra at 9:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes he still has to pay but can get the amount reduced.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 10:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Depends on the type of disability he qualifies for.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 2:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2010