No outdoor space at a preschool

There isn't an actual outdoor space on the property. They take the kids two blocks away to a public playground. What is your opinion on that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would choose a different preschool.

Answer by missanc at 7:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• as long as you trust them, why worry? I would just be glad that they DO take them outside rather than keeping them in all day every day
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Missanc the waiting list for this school is 2 years. That is the only con of this school. OP here
    Anonymous

• at least here in MI, there just must be available outdoor playspace within reasonable walking distance, it doesn't have to be on the same property according to licensing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• are there other schools in your area which are more suited.. just because it has a waiting list doesn't mean it is right for you and your child. Sometimes a few names on a waiting list can trick you into thinking it is 'special' and higher quality. A very well known school here faked their waiting list to make people think it was exclusive. They had false names and held off on placements. If you aren't comfortable with it, then find alternatives..
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Does the public playground have play equipment suitable to kids age 2-5? I took a playground safety class for my job and I was shocked to learn that most of the equipment we have on our own (PreK) playgrounds is NOT suitable for this age group. There are signs on the equipment saying "for ages 2-12". That means that kids aged 10-12 are expected to have fun on it too! If they are having fun on it, you know that a 3-4 year old is going to find it too difficult, or too high off the ground if they fall.
    Anonymous

• If you are happy with the preschool otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. There are many amazing preschools that don't have outdoor play space.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It doesn't matter to me how long the waiting list it. Just because there is a waiting list doesn't make it a good school, or a right fit for any child. I would still choose another preschool. I can't imagine trusting 2 teachers to take 6-8 kids (that's what the ratio is around here for preschool) 2 blocks to a playground, especially if it's anywhere near a busy road!

Answer by missanc at 9:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• op here: Yes the playgorund is way equipped for toddlers. It's also a community center that has many activities. The waiting list is legit. I have heard nothing but great things about this school. I went there today for a tour. It was impressive and professional. Thanks!
    Anonymous

• You need to weigh the pros and cons of the school. Then decide if this con (no on-sight playground) outweighs all the pros.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2010