How are your five year olds?

Behavior wise? Are they in school? Do they function as expected from the teacher? Do they have trouble concentrating and or sitting still? Grandma here- I can remember that my five year olds were just normal behaving five year olds. Somewhere between a baby and a child, I guess. But the granddaughter we are told is having lots of behavior issues in school, such as talking out of turn, not sitting still and not focusing. She is being seen by a child therapist to be evaluated for ADHD, but I'm not so sure I am buying into all this stuff. I rather think she's pretty normal to me.

I need input.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think teachers expect too much from our 5 yo's. well, really who at any age wants to sit still on the floor, or sit still in a chair, or walk in a straight line and only look at the head in front of you? in our district, most young 5's are encouraged to start a year later. in my sons class only girl young 5's are there...and the teacher gets very frustrated b/c they cry easily...which is pretty typical for that age.
    i would never rush into medication...if it gets that far. i can tell you that some teachers deal better with children that are easily distracted. these would be your highly organized, highly structured...anal retentive really, teachers. you could always look for a teacher like that for next year. i don't know if the principal would be honest with you about this or not...but some teachers recommend more kids to be evaluated than others, these are the teachers you would want to avoid, in my opinion.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• She may be bored and in need of a more academically advanced school.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• before diagnosing w/ ADHD she should try a gluten free diet for 2weeks and see if it makes a difference. I have seen it help so many kids
    Anonymous

• mmmm well my daughter is not quit five she wont be till the 28th lol but she is a handfull all in herself she is not in school yet but i would say reacting with other kids and playing learning talking she is great at but i do not know how to handle her myself she is mean to me kicks screams throws major tantrums but she does not do this for any one else like for instance her father lol ugh i dont thank my daughter has adhd or any thang i just thank uh well she knows how to handle me instead of me handling her so i will be going to behavorial therapy for her horrible i know but we will get threw it well i hope that at least helped a little have a great day:)
    Anonymous

• She is only 5 years old and is just beginning to learn about rules and following directions. I feel sometimes the schools are pushing these children too much, too fast. I have to say I agree with you. Years ago 5 year olds only went to school a half a day, now they are going a full day. Honestly I think sometimes that in itself is tiring for a child. I would not be so concerned unless of course in a year or two if behavior problems exists then and only then would I have the child evaluated. Another suggestion is to make sure she is getting proper sleep this may help. My son is 5 years old, and will be starting school later on and I can tell you he can be a handful. He still sometimes naps and without a nap he can be a handful. I believe in trying to work this out either with rewards for good behavior or something to maybe try and keep her focused on positive behavior.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 5, her brothers were pretty typical, good kids at school, followed rules etc. My daughter is very much the same, follows rules, does her work, talks a little bit but nomore than the normal 5 y/o, she takes ballet and listen well in that class as well. Some kids are social by nature and cant help themselves especially when put in a situation like school where there are so many interesting people to talk to lol. All of my children have needed advanced classes but at the kinder level it is harder to get the school to budge and we had to wait it out till first grade. It could be she is just bored with the work or is enjoying all her new found friends.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My five-year-old has always had a great attention span, behavior, etc. However, I totally agree that kids are over medicated and thrown onto the ADHD bandwagon. I would try many, many things before I ever even considered medicating a child away from their God-given personality. My niece is a bit of a handful and was actually lost at kindergarten twice. She does not need to be medicated. She needs time to mature. She needs to respect boundaries. She needs guidance in working on those things -- NOT a quick fix medication. I would be just as hesitant as you and would NOT medicate until about 1,000,000 other avenues had been explored.
    Anonymous

• my son is 5 and I spend time in his learning readiness classroom and those kids have to follow a routine and rules, they learn everything in this class that will prepare them for kindergarten, most are 5 and some still 4. But if you don't have rules then things can become wild in no time. Girls are chatty and do not pay attention and boys just want to have fun and would rather do other things then play. Try to handle a roomful of little kids and you would become rigid as well. I really think every parent should spend time in every grade level so they get a clearer picture of things. I would not say your grandchild has ADHD just because she is antsy, she just needs to mature and teachers are over whelmed and would love to sedate half the class...it isn't right I know...just be sure to get a second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2010