Can/should hubby apply for disability?

I'm not looking for bashing here.
Thing is, he has SEVERE dyslexia and dysgraphia (math)...
He could only go back to school if they had the qualified teachers, and at that rate it would cost an arm leg and a new born.
Which means that he can't exactly get the better paying jobs since he is slower and less educated... not that he isn't smart... he is SUPER SMART but has such a hard time with these things. he didn't get the help he needed when he was in school (k-12).
can he get disability for this since it prevents him from moving forward and doing certain things to support his family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• He could always try.

Answer by louise2 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• honestly, I don't think that dyslexia qualifies as a disability in that sense.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• yeah i guess he could try. we just tried to get it on my son and they wanted medical records, drs, dates of diagnosis, etc. and all of that only about his disability. good luck
    Anonymous

• He can go back to school and get the help he needs. As long as he can prove that he has been diagnosed, then the college has to provide him with the tools he needs to succeed. Contact the Disability office at your local community college. They will help him get the necessary paperwork together. This does not mean that he gets a free pass though. They will work with him and either provide him a free tutor, extra time on tests, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No, to get disability you have to prove that there is no work he could do at all. For instance, if he can answer a phone and say hello he could be a telemarketer. There are jobs that don't require math. A friend of mine is like that and he works a security job. All he has to do is stand around. There are too many people taking advantage of disability that shouldn't be getting it. And there are too many unscrupulous attorneys helping them.

Anonymous

• I work for a Social Security Disability law firm and unfortunately, as long as he is capable of working he is not disabled and therefore he cannot get benefits. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• No he will not get approved. Too many people are able to go to school and get good jobs with the same disabilities that your husband has. I work in the disability field. I have a client who is finishing his MBA this semester and has the same disabilities plus a couple other learning disabilities. Your husband should apply for Vocational Rehabilitation.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 12:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have mental issues and I am on disability. I don't know if you could get on or not, it's hard. Listen, there are all kinds of books out there to help him. Like hooked on phonics or something of that nature. you could work with him. i bought the set for my two grandchilren and it helps them alot. also this may sound strange, but there are all kinds of kids teaching sites on the web. my granddaughter's favorite is Zoodles. It tells her what to do at each pictrure At 4 she can do what she wants on that site. just keep looking, may the Lord help you and bless you.
    nannee59

Answer by nannee59 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2010