has anyone ever heard or gone through a dry birth?

I am 32wks 4days today and i wil be induced at 35 wks because my water ruptured. I have almost no Fluids left in with the baby and the doctors told me that i will have a dry birth. I have never heard of that before so if u know anything about it or have ever experience please tell what u went through so i can prepare myself for it on May 8th. Thank you and wish me the best please bc i m so scared right now for my daughter with the thought of bruising and something else going wrong

mocaprincess

Asked by mocaprincess at 7:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have always heard that once your water breaks you need to deliver within 24 hours...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• "Dry birth" is really a misnomer because your body continues to make amniotic fluid. This term probably originated in the days of granny and traditional midwifery. Fluid is constantly produced -- about a cup an hour. Even if there is no fluid release with the birth, there is usually fluid behind the baby.

The amniotic fluid probably serves no real lubricative function, but absence or low levels of fluid is a cause for concern for other reasons.

Oligohydramnios, or too little fluid, is common in the postdate pregnancy. It can reflect the fetus' diminished production of urine and the deterioration of the fetal-maternal circulation.

Anonymous

• Yeah, i heard that if you don't deliver your baby by 24 hours when the water breaks, it will increase the likely hood of an infection.
    Anonymous

• "Dry Birth" is a HUGE myth perpetuated by the medical community because there is a lack of understanding of how the pregnant body truly works.

Amniotic fluid is continuously made throughout the pregnancy and labor until the baby has been born.

The best way to increase fluid is to DRINK, DRINK, DRINK...water, juice, Gateraid...DRINK!

There is simply no evidence to support the idea of dry birth so there's nothing to be afraid of as far as that is concerned.

Anonymous

• i agree w/ those who said dry birth is a myth. and i would also drink as much water as possible just to help nature out. :)

also the chances of infection are quite low actually.

http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/when-your-water-breaks-before-labor-begins/

There is also the myth of ‘dry birth’ that is simply not true because the body continues to make amniotic fluid which in turn will continue to leak but by no means leaves the amniotic sac and baby dry. Because of this ‘dry birth’ myth, women are often times told that they must lay in bed and not move around so that fluid doesn’t continue to leak out. This is counterproductive as gravity is necessary to help the baby rotate and move into the pelvis and movement helps facilitate labor.

good luck and congrats in advance :)
    Anonymous