What age to have sex?

My partner say's boy should start having sex at the age of 15-16 and not be in relationships. Just sleep around for fun until your 20.
I say wait, and start thinking about it when you are in a relationship at 18-20.

We have a son together. I dont want him to follow in his fathers footsteps and sleep around at a young age. But my parter say's its a part of childhood. And that you cant stop them if they want to have sex young. How can we both agree on this topic. I dont think its right, and it just makes me upset to think about. What age do you think is the right age to have sex? Am I just overreating..? and being an over protective mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is your son? Hopefully, he is still young and by the time he reaches that age, you partner may grow up and change his mind.
    Anonymous

• Wow..i can't believe he said that. No boy should have "sex for fun" do you know how many girls are out there to just have "sex for fun?" not many. Should, there are fluzy women, but seriously, isn't it more important that he learns that sex is another layer of love, not something cassual? There are lot of reasourses online about sex and teenagers, and why it's better to teach them no to do that, and if they do, to do it safely.
    Anonymous

• Sex is something that should not be entered into lightly. Until a person is mature enough (and financially stable enough) to handle the consequences of sex, they should not be having sex. Therefore, teenagers should not be having sex. They shouldn't be "encouraged" to have sex either. This is my opinion.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• did you explain to your partner that every time he has "sex for fun" he could be creating a baby and then it wouldnt be so fun....being a father at 15!? And then you guys having to help support the him and the baby....

I would never encourage sex before marriage. mind you i am not married and can not expect that they will wait, but i will say that they need to be mature consenting ADULTS....able to handle the consequences.

He is right that you can't stop it if they really want to do it, but you can do everything in your power to keep him from startng too young. however, if you ever find out he is sexually active or thinking about it, i would provide condems. maybe see if they have a class on what it is to have a child and all that so that he sees the consequences to his actions as well..

either way i would explain it all to SO. and let him know that you do not agree with him.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Wow --- I honestly don't mean to step on any toes but your 'partner' is an idiot. Boys should NOT start 'sleeping around' EVER.

I believe age is irrelevant... being married is the key.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• And as for anyone who says, "You can't stop them from having sex too young, " I say BULL! I have three teenaged daughter, one in college...all three are virgins!! I taught them from a YOUNG age that sex was for the person you will spend the rest of your life with. You must be emotionally, financially, and spiritually stable before entering into a relationship...which in turn should end in marriage. And sex happens after the vows are said!! A baby needs a stable home, and since we know where babies come from, making a baby when you are 'just having fun" is stupid to say the very least. Sorry, but what he said makes me more than a little angry. He is willing to ruin his child's teenage years because he thinks casual sex is fun. How many STD's does he want his son to bring home?? How much child support is he willing to help your child pay?? My opinion, but I have to goods to back it up!! Start teaching him respect for sex now!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 9:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Having sex before marriage is NOT part of childhood or even adulthood. When one has sex before marriage they lose the only gift they could give thier husband/wife, that no one could give. I am not old fashioned or a prude. Unfortunately I had sex before marriage and during marriage. I gave away the only gift I could have given. I have been divorced and now have a wonderful husband. Also when you have sex before marriage you are bringing all those people to your bed. I will not back down and I don't care what anybody says, it's wrong and thier is no other answer. Let me ask, most of you know really that's it's wrong don't you?
    nannee59

Answer by nannee59 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• IMO the right age is when they are out of the house, out of school and financially responsible for themselves. There's no specific #, it could be 22 or even 32 but definitely NOT 15-16!
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2010