What do you do when you sign your child up for a sport and they refuse to participate?

I signed my 1st grade daughter up for a little dribblers basketball team. The team will not actually be playing basketball against other teams, but they will be learning a dribbling routine to preform at high school game half times. Today was the first practice. There were about 20 girls her age there and only a few knew how to actually dribble the ball. My DD had a hard time doing it and keeping up, but so did more than half of the other girls. When practice was about half over, she started crying and refused to do it anymore. She wanted to go home and never go back to practice. I made her stay and watch the rest of practice and I want her to try again, but she is refusing because she thinks she's not good enough. What do I do? If I force her to go she is just going to stand there and cry the whole time. If I don't make her go she is going to feel bad that her friends got to do it and she didn't do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd tell her that you expect her to give her best effort and that you can practice at home if she wants. Also, let her coaches know that she's feeling like she is the worst one there. They are probably pretty well trained to handle this, even if it's just encouraging her and ignoring her fits.
    Do you stiick around for practices? If you do, don't give an reaction when you see her or think about stepping away so that she can't see you. With my kids, the drama was worse when I was there to witness it.
    Regardless, I'd have her finish out the season.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i would have her atleast try one more time. I wont sign my kids up for something they never asked me to. thats just me and my mom was the same way.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 7:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• She asked to sign up. She wanted to do it because her friends were doing it.
    Anonymous

• Just leave her alone. If she doesn't want to do it, that is that. She may change her mind later or want to do sometning else.

To be honest, i don't see that it is a problem.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I require my child to finish out the season of any sport or activity he signs up for. The only way he gets out of it is for injury or illness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• The reason I want her to keep doing it, is because I don't want her to think that she should just give up when something is difficult or when she isn't very good at something because she is just learning.
    Anonymous

• We had this issue - exact same sport - with DS. The only difference was he WANTED to sign up. I knew he was interested in it so I asked him and signed him up. We got there and he found out that there were actual RULES to the game and decided he didn't like it. We told him he had to stick it out. He hated it, but he stuck it out. And he couldn't dribble at the beginning of it, but after the last week (only 4 weeks) he could dribble pretty well, so it did improve his skills!
    Anonymous

• She wanted to sign up too. I wouldn't have signed her up if she said she didn't want to do it. I plan to have her keep going, but any advice on getting her to participate instead of sitting on the bench crying?
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't make my child participate in a sport she really didn't want to. I asked my parents to sign me up for soccer. I wanted to try it. Well, I HATED it with a passion. It truly depressed me to keep going with it. They let me skip the last two practices and games. I gave it a try, and HATED it. Sometimes we can't know how a child is really going to feel about a sport until they are actually IN IT. We live and learn. Had my parents made me do those last 2 games, nothing positive would have come out of it. I really HATED IT.

Anonymous

• My nephew really, really hated swim lessons, but his parents made him continue to go. Now he is 9th grade and is the fastest swimmer in all the area high schools. I guess they should have let him quit.

Anonymous