Does anyone else feel like every other kid now a days is said to have ADD??

Ok, first let me start off by saying that I do agree that this is real and some children have it, and its actually sometimes out of control. However, I feel like every time a kid acts out weather it be all the time or just when they feel like be a annoying kid, because they all do it some times they go to the doctors and get on meds because they have "ADD". Come on, not every kid that is hyper active and cant concentrate in school has this, but once you go to the doctor's your leaving with a prescription. I just feel like its a bunch of bull, and more parents need to educate them self's fully before they use this as a quick answer and dope their child up with meds to calm down, when in all reality, they may just be a normal child acting out! Like I said, I know that this is real, and some kids do have it, but come on every other kid you see now a days has it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes I thought the same way I think we are all ADD ADHD In someway or another.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what doctor they are seeing but my son was seen my the psychologist 4 or 5 times before he was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. He went through lots of testing, evaluations, etc. If a child is diagnosed by a doctor just after one visit then that parent needs to run away fast from that doctor!

Anonymous

• To me i think its more parents that have kids with ADD/ADHD reaching out and trying to find other possiblities before meds. Also they could be reaching out to other moms that can relate to them. my kids act out and get annoying and i know they dont have it, my husband and my nephew have it and my nephew also has ODD.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 7:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• and that is what should be done. testing, counseling, what ever is needed to find out the real problem. These parents need to educate them self like I said before, dont just give your child meds because its calms them down, and then gives you the calm you also need! If you bring your child to their doctor and they prescribe them something, your not doing your job right as your childs advocate. every other child now a days has this, im sick of it honestly!
    Anonymous

• Anon :53- I will say that while not every child needs medicine, there are some that do need it. My son has severe ADHD and he can not function without the help of medicine. However, that is not the only thing we use. He is also in play therapy, school counseling, counseling outside of school, and a change in diet. It takes all of those together to help my son control his impulses.

Anonymous

• YES! WAY too many parents want their kids to be quiet and have the attention span of an 80 year old! Come on... they are KIDS & are supposed to bounce off the walls!

And I agree, some kids actually DO have it... but it is WAY too over-diagnosed in this generation.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You think the fact that the last three decades people have been smoking, snorting, huffing, and shooting up anything they can get their hands on has anything to do with it? I am not shocked at the increase of all childhood problems.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Not at all. The reason it seems like there are more kids diagnosied with ADHD is because there is more awareness of what the disorder is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have ADD, my son has ADHD - tride and true REAL

and I TOTALLY agree.....
    Anonymous

• I believe that 98% of children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD do not need medicine, they need more discipline and training.
    Anonymous