baby born at 35 weeks?

i went into prterm at 32 weeks and spent a week in the hospital, my doctor had given me steriods for my babies lungs. im 34 weeks 5 days now and have been having an increased amount of contractions. im on the highest dose of meds i can be on, and my cervix is 3cm and 50% effaced, what are the chances of my baby being healthy and able to come home with me if i deliver at 35 weeks/?

shorty_18

Asked by shorty_18 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• babies are being born at this gestation age a lot these days. I think if the baby is breathing fine and maintaning heat good and eating then they may let you take the baby home. Best of luck and I hope your baby is going to be all right :)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• she'll probably have to be in the NICU for awhile. maybe not, but chances are a week or two in the nicu.:( i know it sucks but it may have to be that way.good luck.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• really good actually. maybe some jaundice issues, but not too much else. possible breathing issues, but even that should be minimal if everything has been going good until now. good luck!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• they know what they are doing.....trust in that.....babies are born everyday months earlier and survive.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• The chances of your baby being okay are pretty good at this point but the chances that he or she will come home with you are pretty small.

That being said some babies are born at 33 weeks (like my friend's baby) and do great. My friend's baby came home with her 2 days later. But my sister who was born at 36 weeks spent a month in the NICU.

It depends on a lot of different things. The fact that you are on steriods is a big plus and that could increase your chances for having your baby come home with you after delivery.

Is your baby a boy or a girl?

Girls develop faster and often fair better when being born premature. More little boys end up in the NICU than little girls by far.

Good luck to you. I hope everything goes well for you.
    Anonymous

• my son was born via c section at 35 weeks. my water was broken for 60 hours by the time he was born, so he had e-coli, and also jawndice. he was in the NICU for one week and then he came home and is now perfectly healthy! GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i agree that your baby would most likely spend some time in the NICU before going home :( but hold on, you might be able to keep him/her in there for another week or 2! every day counts at this point! good luck
    Anonymous

• we just asked the ob this last week, he said 34 weekers have great success. dh thought he said they often won't try to stop labor at 34 weeks, but i didn't hear that
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Of course, no one can say for sure but I think you would have a good chance of taking the baby home with you. My first son was born at exactly 34 weeks and only spent 10 days in the NICU because he wasn't feeding well. Now, I am pregnant with twins and we don't have a NICU in the town where I live ... the closest one is 2 hours away but my doctors told me that if I made it 35 weeks, we could have the babies here in my town because there would be a very small chance of them needing to be in the NICU. Good luck.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• w the steroids, very good :)
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 9:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010