Freezing dinners

Due to having to get a tree cut down, money is going to be very tight for us the next few weeks. This is exactly why we have our Discover card, so tonight I stocked UP on some groceries for dinners to last us the next couple weeks. I plan on making a chipotle chicken pasta dinner, several Hamburger Helpers (blech I know, they are for DH to take to work for lunches. Using ground turkey, not beef) and a dijon honey mustard baked chicken.
My question, as I have never made a lot of food in bulk to freeze: Should I make it all in one fell swoop (I'm off the next 2 day) and freeze it in tupperwares? Or should I just make it as we would use it? I've never frozen dinners before and I know a lot of you ladies do on a regular basis, so I'm asking for your expertise. I got a huge thing of chicken breasts, too, which I won't be using all of for these meals. Should I put each one in a baggie and freeze individually? Any help is welcome!

zeppelynn

Asked by zeppelynn at 7:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I generally freeze foods in wax paper, and put in a big zipper bag. The wax can safely go into the microwave.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have done it and it works out well. I use glass casserole dishes and cover then freeze. To reheat i remove cover and place in cold oven,, turn on heat to 350 for an hour...never put breakable casserole dishes in a warm or hot oven, it will break the dish. What I would do with the chicken is seperate it and get out the foil place how many pieces you need per meal, wrap and freeze. You don't want to microwave chicken it will get rubbery. Allow a few days to thaw, so make your menu a week at a time and take meat out when you need it
    Anonymous

• remember to thaw only in the fridge...and i meant to say that COLD casserole dishes will break in a hot oven...sorry for not proff reading
    Anonymous

• I also like using Pyrex dishes with lids to cook and freeze in. You can make most things and freeze it in the pyrex (just let it cool at room temp for 30 minutes or so before you freeze it so you're not putting HOT stuff in the freezer and bringing the freezer temp down). Then just do like the PP said, put the dish in the oven, turn it on, and leave it in there til it gets warm. I like making in bulk and freezing things like turkey chili, ground turkey seasoned for burritos and tacos, stews, and chicken noodle soup (minus the noodles, add those while heating the soup on the stovetop when you serve it). For chicken, I would just cook it as you need it unless you're doing it as part of like a casserole or something.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2010