Is depression taking over your life, even though your on meds??

I have four children and I am on medication for depression, and anxiety. I dont know what is going on lately, but all I want to do is sleep. I am short tempered for no reason, and feeling the blues all the time. Some days I am happy as can be, then I have my down falls. My friends tell me actually beg me to just get out of the bed and go for a walk, but my body hurts. I feel like a old woman, and I cant move or better yet I have no motivation to even take a shower some days. this has really taken over my life, and I cant just snap out of it like people say. I went to my doctor the other day and she up my dosage to see if its works. Nothing! I dont know, is this forever? How can I feel better, any suggestions would be so helpful. Anyone else going through this? I love my kids so much, and I just want them to see their mom happy again, and out of the bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Health

• Your medication dose may be too high, or not high enough.
    You are not going to feel the difference right away, give it atleast a week.
    You may even need to try a different medication.
    I did go through this. I was on welbutrin and celexa for both depression and anxiety. I stopped taking the celexa and upped the dosage of welbutrin.
    Try eating better also, and just ask someone to give you help. so you can get a break and go do something that makes you feel better about yourself. My therapy is shopping (= but you can even just read a book, get lost in the world of someone else's life. Try getting a new hair style and dye it. Good luck, and dont give up. You will find what is right for you.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 8:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You may need to have your meds adjusted or changed. It sounds like they are not working. Are you in counseling also? The best treatment for depression is a combo of meds and counseling. Try to force yourself out of bed for a little bit each day. Try to get up and shower. I know it's hard, I have been there but it does help. I wish you the best of luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Thank you guys, maybe I will go out and buy a book...that sounds like a good idea ;)
    Anonymous

• aww no fun :( def need meds adjusted or changed. Someone mentioned counseling, make sure if you DO go the therapy route that you find the right type of therapist I had one that made me 10xs crazier but I was dealing with more than depression and that specific therapist basically fired me because she decided she was not "qualified" which is the last thing you want to be told when you already feel hopeless! Hang in there!!!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 7:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010