My parents are driving me crazy!

So to start off I need to give a little background info here....I'm 18 and have a 3.5 year old daughter. I still live at home with my parents and I am eternally grateful for their help and support, but I have run into the issue of my mom overstepping her boundaries when it comes to disciplining my child. For instance I was putting my daughter on time out and my three year old screamed at me and when she did my mom stepped in and said "if you don't stop yelling at your mother, Mimi will step in." I almost feel like she's undermining my authority. So how can I politely ask her to back off a little.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just be honest with your mother. Tell her how she makes you feel and what you would like to see change. Try not to sound accusatory and make sure you let her know how much you do appreciate her help. I would bring up the subject some other time then when it happens. Wait until your daughter is alseep and sit your mom down and talk to her. Best of luck to you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Don't listen to anon :47. Just because it's your mother's house doesn't make her the mother. She's the grandmother....
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think what you said here is fine. Tell her you feel she is undermining your authority and would like for her to stop. Sometimes we older moms think we are helping but you are right. You need to handle the child, not mom. You might consider getting your own place. Section 8 is good for that. Good luck but just be honest and firm with mom. My dd was younger than you when she had my grandson. I see mistakes I made trying to help. Your mom is doing the same thing. I hope she listens to you.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I feel for ya we had to live with my inlaws when our first child was about 3 and she over stepped a ton of times and I let it go a lot of the time but even now that we have been moved out for over 2 yrs she still thinks she is a parent to my son and my daughter who never lived with her. I really was appreciative that we were able to stay there but just because you're having hard times doesn't mean you have to let her parent your child. I would try to do it in a calm manner without the child around but do set the ground rule I just did with mil and I'm so happy I did now but I wish I would of done it sooner b/c it wouldn't have led to so much resentment and problems within the family!
    Anonymous

• I believe that you are grateful... but you have no choice in this matter. Her CHILD had a CHILD the lines will FOREVER be blured. Until you are an adult living your own life.... she will do this. Cut her some slack you will never know what she has gone through... and I hope you never do.
    Anonymous

• Just to respond to the first person's response. I am living with my parents because they willingly offered me their house while I go to college. Again, I'm not ungrateful, but I would just like to make me living with them as painless as possible for the both of us.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2010