Why

You hear so much information about starting a baby too soon on solid foods could cause an increase in food allergies and also lead to obesity. But my question is why? Does it cause the allergies or do you just find out about it sooner when the baby is less able to deal with it. I read somewhere ( I don't remember where) that food allergies are up 400% since the 70's when I was a child and most parents fed their children solids earlier. back then you seldom heard of food allergies. Also I don't know any statistics on childhood obesity, but just look around and you can see that children of today are much heavier. I don't want to cause a debate I was just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Actually - starting solids LATE can ause allergies.... starting too early can cause tummy probs cuz their tummys are not ready yet. And honey you stay away from until 1 yr becasue of the bacteria.
    Anonymous

• very good question. i dont have any answers. but i know i was on solid foods at 3 months old, i don't have any food allergeries that i am aware of and i have never been obese. overweight now....but not a lot. i am smaller than all of my in laws.... my family varies...ha ha.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I don't believe that starting foods too early cause allergies or obestiy. If a child is going to have allergies, they are going to have them no matter when they start eating foods. I wouldn't give a child any foods that are a family history of allergy until after 1 year, but if there are no allergies, start the foods when the CHILD is ready to eat them. Every child is different. My son was on cereal at 2 weeks, baby food at 4 weeks, tablefood and 2% milk at 8 months and has NO allergies and is nowhere near obese. All this was done WITH his doctors consent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I don't know any of the statistics, I just know what I did. I started feeding my kids cereal at 2 months of age and baby food at 3 months of age. I talked to their doctor before I did it. All of my kids were big eaters though and still are. When they were 2 months old they would eat a 6-8 oz bottle every 2 hours. After talking to the doctor we decided that it would be best to go ahead and start them on cereal and then later the baby food. None of my sons have food allergies and none of them are overweight. They are happy active boys.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I don't care what others do...but the only time it bugs me is when people do it to be lazy and feed the babies solids to shut them up thru the night.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Babies immune systems develop slowly. Introducing solids too soon can trigger allergic reactions that would not occur if foods are introduced later; this is especially true of the allergy trigger foods (like dairy, wheat, citrus, etc.)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• can you give a source for your info rkoloms? you are the only one who is saying that introducing solids can trigger allergic reactions that would NOT occur if the foods were introduced at a later date. i just would like to know where you are getting your info....thanks!
    Anonymous

• I've read that the increase in food allergies may be related to an increase in sanitary conditions in our society. In third world countries where a parasite called hook worm is prominent the occurrence of allergies and asthma is drastically lower and practically non-existent compared to the rate they occur here in the states. Allergies occur when your immune system over reacts to a foriegn element that is not actually hazardous (such a pollen). The immune systems of people who have a moderate case of hookworm is preoccupied with the parasite and doesn't have these reactions to allergens. Some Westerners have even gone so far as to intentionally infect themselves with hookworm to cure their allergies. Some scientist have theorized that the increase in diagnosed allergies is due to our increased cleanliness and sanitation standards.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2010