How to get her to stop

My 3 year old daughter bites her nails... ALOT. It is to the point were they bleed, and are very very short. I don't know what to do to get her stop biting her nails, she even bites her toe nails. I know that it is not normal, and I know why she does it but now I can't get her to stop biting her nails. Any suggestions?

Younganproud

Asked by Younganproud at 8:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you taken her to a child psychologist. At that age, they have trouble verbalizing how they are feeling so may do things like biting their nails when they don't know how exactly to express themself.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• She was tramatized last year after she seen her father get abusive towards me, and after that she started biting her nails. She is very good at telling me when she is upset or anything, now it's just a habbit for her. I can tell because she is fine with what had happened but at night I catch her biting her nails, or when she is going to the bathroom, and when she is just bored. I don't know if the Nail bitting stuff if safe for her at this age, and I can't do what my mom did to me when I was younger and put hot sauce on her nails cause that would hurt her. (And she likes hot sauce, really likes wasbe...)
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 9:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I thought I was very good at hearing what my son was trying to say. Also abusive. But then when he turned 9, he started changing, acting in a way his father would. I took him to a psychologist and got alot out of him then I ever could. I didn't know some of things that was going through his head until the dr asked him in such a way that brought it out. He said he loves therapy and it felt good to get it off his chest. As parents, we having trouble being objective and a psychologist can be very important. The fact that she's still doing the behavior shows she's still traumatized. The younger we help our kids deal with it, the less chance they will grow up not knowing how to cope with what they are feeling.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Thank you, I will look into it.
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 9:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

ORRRRRRR, she could just be biting her nails like most people do from time to time, especially kids...sigh*

My dd does this and has no "issues" I used the "stop biting" polish on her nails and it really helped her. That stuff tastes horrible!!! From time to time she still bites a bit..but it helps her to control the habit!
    Anonymous

• I guess I should also menchone I bite my nails from time to time, and was bitting them really bad last year around the time she started biting hers........
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 9:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My son would bite his nails that bad...he even started to bite the skin on the tips of his fingers and had no finger prints left. I was looking at his fingers one day and noticed they were all swollen and I started to panic. I found this stuff online called Mavala STOP by Mavala...it was under $10! Its like a clear nail polish, my first concern was my son ingesting to much of it, but before he could even bite his nail for the first time it was on he ran to the bathroom spiting in the sink! He said it tasted so horrible. I was amazed at how well it worked...he did so well not biting them that I could cut his nails with the clippers after only a week!! I used this product for about a month, even though it worked in the first day, just so he would not get the urge to bite. He no longer bites the tips of his fingers either! Its been about 3 months and no biting!!! Good Luck!
    Trish9806

Answer by Trish9806 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2010