My daughter just turned 2 and she's been incredibly bold lately. Any suggestions?

She yells "No!" and tries to run away from me when we're walking out side, among other bad behavior. I use time outs which work sometimes, yelling doesn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

MamaMaggie3

Asked by MamaMaggie3 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yelling won't work. Just continue with timeouts and if she runs out into a busy street let her know that is an automatic spanking. My daughter has always known she was to hold my hand outside but since my friend doesn't make her son she thinks she doesn't have to now. I had to sit her down and explain to her why she had to hold my hand.
    Anonymous

• She's acting her age.

If she runs away from you when you are outside, she chooses to sit in her stroller for a set period of time.

Nix the yelling. It doesn't help anything.

And forget what the anon said about spanking. Don't spank her please. Violence begets violence.
    Anonymous

• Spanking does not have to be violent. I do believe kids need a spanking sometimes. It is the most obvious way for them to know what their boundaries are and believe me kids NEED boundaries! Don't yell, that just shows kids your weakness, and they will pick at that. But no matter how much you threaten a timeout or lost privileges, some kids will keep pushing until they reach a solid boundary. I think it's unfair to let kids push and never find that boundary. And that crap about spanking teaching kids to hit is just hooey. But ultimately, that's your choice as a parent. If you choose not to spank, live with the consequences, if you choose to spank, ignore the naysayers on here who will act like you're being "abusive".
    Anonymous

• Beat that child with a wooden spoon, girl, go on.
    SassyCassy3

Answer by SassyCassy3 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2010