• In the Spotlight:

Underweight and pregnant.

My dd is 15 years old (turns 16 in July) and weighs only 110 lbs. She's 7 weeks pregnant and hasn't shown at all yet. How big will her belly get? She's so tiny, 5 "7" but so skinny. I can literally feel every bone in her back. We're both wondering how big she's going to get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Im 5'7" and weighed only 118 when I got pregnant with my first child when I was 17. I didnt start showing until well into 5 months but after that it all hit me.. I got a huge belly. And nothing but belly. I only gained exactly 24 pounds (Ive always been a skinny girl no matter what I do or how much I eat.) Anyways I had a healthy baby boy that weighed 7lbs 15oz. And I lost all the baby weight within days afterwards, and I had a flat stomach again. So either way I dont think it matters. As long as she eats enough for her baby to grow nice and healthy. And of course its different for everyone.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I was in my 20s when I got pregnant, but I weighed 102 when I did. I didn't show until I was 5 months along. I only gained 20 lbs, but my son was 8 lbs 9 oz. The dr will encourage her to gain more weight than an average pregnancy, since she is underweight, but how big she gets will depend totally on her and her eating habits. Some women gain 60-80 lbs or more with pregnancy, others gain very little.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• 7 weeks is really early to start showing...even if you are really skinny. She will probably just look like she has a basketball under her shirt.
    Anonymous

• At 7 weeks and at her first pregnancy she will not show. She shouldn't be showing until about 20 weeks along into the pregnancy. Most of the wieight should be gained in the last trimester. At this stage, the baby's features are not formed, no arms legs, just yet. At 5"7 and 110 thats not exactly underweight. I am 5"9 and at 115 and have had two children. At 7 weeks along I did not gain any wieght but by the end I had put on 40 lbs.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It all depends. Everyone is very different. I didn't show until I was six months pregnant. I was about 120lbs and 5'7 also. She may gain weight later. She could just get the baby weight and go right back to her normal weight. Give it a little more time. You will notice in a couple more months

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• thank you so much ladies!
    lauren1424

Answer by lauren1424 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010