question about cell phone usage

Apparently my son called his buddy 4 times in a short period of time (cell phone to cell phone). The mother of his buddy complained to me that my son called during dinner... insinuating that I speak to my son about appropriate times to call.

I did talk to my son about leaving a message and simply WAITING for his buddy to call back... but honestly I dont see it as a problem that he called when he called.

We do not allow cell phones at the table.. that is simply rude. If their child had a cell phone on him at their dinner table that is not our issue... that is theirs.

Our child has his cell phone from 630am (when he wakes) until 9pm when we require it to be docked in our room. We do not allow it at the table. We do not allow it when we go out to dinner. We do not allow it on family days. etc. It should not be my issue to worry that he is interupting others' family time... they should monitor that.

agree???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. How would your son know what time THEY eat dinner.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• yes definatly agreed
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well, I think it's common courtesy to not call between say 430-630 as most people eat dinner at that time. My parents would have also complained when I was growing up. It's proper manners. Maybe I was raised different, I dunno, But kids having cell phones is ridiculous to me anyway.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Agreed.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• people eat at different times. sometime we eat as early as 5pm. sometimes we eat as late as 7pm. it just depends on our schedule. i think you handled it well and the other child's parent should handle when he can have the phone and when he can't. i know that if you called at 4:30 my SD would still be doing homework most of the time. and after 6:30 we would probably be at practice. we have busy lives and not everyone has the same schedule. my SO's biggest thing with people and this is anyone is not to call after 9pm. He doesnt like talking on the phone. this probably mainly started with the 9pm thing because of his ex-wife though. lol
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I agree... Getting calls an inappropriate times is part of life. We all have a choice whether or not we want to answer, and a mom has a choice whether or not she'll allow her son to answer during that time.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Agreed. You can't possibly know when someone else is eating dinner or doing something else. It's up to the other family to regulate their kid's cell phone usage.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010