What would you do?

I got offered a job that would bring in a significant amount of money, but would cause me to spend a lot less time with my children. 2, and 5. We have enough to get by on what we are making now, but this extra money would help us to be able to get better and more things for our children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• For me, I'd always choose to be with my kids. I'm a SAHM and blessed that we can survive on DH's income. Sometimes I get frustrated because we have to scrape to get by, but I always remind myself this is my choice because I would rather live with less and be able to be with my son. I try to think about it in terms of, what will be most valuable to me at the end of my life when I look back: that I bought my son whatever toys he wanted and put whatever I wanted in the shopping cart, or that I was there for my kids every minute possible?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have had the pleasure of being home while continuing my education with my two children. A feel blessed to have been there for so many milestones that I would have missed if I worked from when they were born. I feel lucky to have been able to have a good chunk of thier lives where I was always there. But, at the same time I know that in order to better provide for my children and allow them more opportunities I have to work. I want them to do what I didn't get to do.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Are the things you want to buy for your children things they need? Will it benefit you in a way that is worth paying for childcare, and not being with them? There are a lot of things to weigh, look at the pros and cons for your family, and then you should have your answer.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i agree with the above advice. you could even make a list. are the things that you could get better for the kids things that will help them in their future, their education, etc. I would be really looking at the benefits. if its just getting to go to movies or eat out more, then i wouldnt. but if i could take the kids on real vacations (places like the grand canyon, niagra falls, etc.), have them still participate in extra curriculars, etc....i might. i just dont know. its really hard to say what i would do since i am not in the position. right now, i would need a VERY well paying job to make it worth me working more than i do.
    Anonymous